Garlic snails

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations Ray! And jtrmd....you can't live with AIDS. You die with AIDS. You can live with HIV. But it is not much fun taking all those meds....and there is no guarantee that they will be effective for a lifetime. My son had an HIV scare a year ago in the ER, when a glove tore while he was undressing an HIV+ stabbing victim. My son had a cut on his hand. For 3 weeks he had to take 3 of the HIV meds, prophylactically, and he felt miserable on them.

I hope he's OK now, Eric.

Congrats, Ray. My husband and I recently celebrated our 40th anniversary -- I had to go all the way to Colorado to find him (and he's from Michigan, also!).

Thanks Dot...he's fine. I wasn't even worried...I told him to just relax, and that his chances of contracting it were nil...but he reported it to the hospital, and they followed protocol. He quit the meds a week early, they were so awful. No one should have to live taking those things. Fortunately, he realized, after talking to other Dr's, nearly all of whom had the same experience, that he had nothing to worry about.

How did I erradicate all slugs and bush snails in my 900 m2 greenhouse>

1. I fired the guy who took care of my greenhouse when I observed him spreading snails on my plants.

2. Slugs and snails were in most of my plants and on the floor. So I had to trash about 1,000 catts because they were too much damaged. Than I started to replant the remaining catts into fresh, steamed medium when they were making new growhts and just started to make new roots. At this point you can cut off all roots and clean the rhizoma with a toothbrush to clean off the very small eggs from the slugs and bush snails that may be attached under the rhizoma and between what remained of the roots after cutting them off. After planting into the fresh medium you have to separate the plants so there is no contact between plants .... just in case you didn't get the last egg off.

3. At the same time I bought a couple of 25 kg bags of salt and covered the whole greenhouse floor with it. That killed all the slugs and snails and in six years now after that I never have seen a single slug or snail in my more than 6,000 plants.

4. My opinion is that this is a hard way to get them erradicated but I was tired of using the very expensive and plant damaging Mesurol and all the other things normally recommendet like beer, potato, salad etc. Now I also sleep much better because I don t have to check my plants every night with the flashlight.

Helmut
Venezuela

For real? Someone was spreading snails on your plants?!

Salt. Interesting. It would probably kill any plant growth on the floor, also.

a kind I dont know killed an orchid outdoors too a few days ago.
was not thinking I need to refres the snail corn at this tiome of the year.
we had that night beofre around 4C

Whew varied thread! Culinary, marriage, chemical warfare, sabotage and espionage, all in a few pages!
I have found that a mixed approach works best, provided it is on-going. I alternate between a few different brands of slug/sail bait on a regular basis, and an intermittent application of an aphicide (systemic, gets rid of snails, scale and mealy bugs) keeps the problem under control.

Do you think this approach would work for pillbugs (rolly pollies)? I thought they were gone but I found 4 this week, killed 3, but John Rambo is still out there munching on root tips after 3 attempted assassinations. I hope he doesn't have any friends lurking...

How do I totally and utterly and completely exterminate them? (in a reasonably safe way)
I'm talking about the tiny minature ones that come out after a good soaking. Some smell of garlic and some don't. They love root tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike.

Snails really love beer!!! When snails appeared at me I put many tiny cotton pieces impregnated with beer. Every morning I collected cotton pieces with drunken snails and replaced them to fresh ones. I did that while all of snails disappeared. I can take few weeks!

Aaahhhhh! Those little f@&#ers! They cause a lot of damage and are damn near impossible to get rid of. The only time I see some of them dead is after an aphicide drench. What I can assure you, is when they arrive, root tips disappear. They love to hide under stuff, which is one of the reasons why I lifted my polystyrene trays off the floor. I imagine they and roaches will be the only survivors of a nuclear incident.

They are great at hiding, and they're never gone. Thank god for clear pots. Now I can see the damage firsthand. Initially I had luck with snail and slug bait, but they are wise to that act. Also found out they can hold their breath for a ridiculous amount of time.

Latest posts

Back