Disa variations

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to show off the variation in Disa color on top of Table Mountain. I have selected only a few forms. In truth, no two plants are the same (unless they have fared very well and multiplied by stolons). I could do a similar thread based on petal/sepal shape but that would be boring.

The classic red form:

This plant has brilliant red sepals and a nice read hood.

Compare it to this one, an orange form:

This plant has done very well and each year I have gone up it was there. It is now a clump of about seven flowering plants. The pale pink one that follows is a single plant but there are other such pale pink plants elsewhere.

One also gets an orange-pink form:

Here the sepals have a pink flush but still with strong orange rather than red. Of course, there are plants which are red with a strong pink or magenta flush:

The above photos were taken in February. In March one can see Disa ferruginea all over the place:

If you keep your eyes wide open you may spot a Disa graminifolia or two.

(This is last year's photo, as this year's plants were not very photogenic.)

I have never seen the same plant flower twice. If you take a look at the next photo you will see a fat seed pod. It takes only a week or two (I guess) for the seed pod to swell to that size. Last year I tried to collect seed. Six weeks after hand pollination I went up the mountain and after much searching I eventually found the pollinated plant. The seed pod had dried out and the seed was gone and the stem withering. I suspect that the seed matures in as little as four weeks. Obviously, large resources are needed to develop seed that fast which is why, the tuberoids of these plants are HUGE. And putting all that energy into the seed development probably means this plant will not have stored up enough energy to flower for a while. One plant, kept in cultivation, never flowered for the 15 years that it was kept alive. It was collected just after flowering... It is my belief that these plants are very common but that finding one in flower is very rare. I doubt I will see the plants I saw this year in flower for a long long time.

The above blue Disa is not be confused with the blue drip Disa, Disa longicornu which flowers in profusion in December.

They are beautiful flowers. Thanks. Sadly even uniflora defies my attempts at cultivation.

They are beautiful flowers. Thanks. Sadly even uniflora defies my attempts at cultivation.

Your problem, being so far North, is probably not enough light. These plants grow in full sun (but are normally shaded from the afternoon sun). Another common problem is the plants getting too hot in the summer without enough water to keep the roots cool. If the plant isn't cool enough at root level it won't produce a new tuberoid. Hybrids are particularly prone to his. If you do have enough light and water the problem normally comes down to the water not being fresh enough or getting contaminated with some fungi or bacteria. I flush each pot and its associated reservoir each day in summer and the plant stands in water. Doing this, I have kept my Disa alive for 3 growing seasons which is better than I have ever done before.

Glad you all liked the pictures.

Hi,

I haven't seen the yellow in the wild. I hope to one day... There are apparently yellow plants up in the Grootwinterhoek Mountains but I didn't see them when I was there (the trip cost me a new exhaust and hub-caps so I'm not going back any time soon).

I think the pink is very nice as well. I also like its elegant form. It is wondrous coming upon the plants flowering in profusion. I hope with the cooler weather this year the plants will bloom better next year.

Good luck with your fungus problem, NYEric.

The D. grandiflora is spectacular....All others are beautiful too, but this stands out to my eyes!!! Thank you very much for sharing!!!

I wish I could try them!!

Back