Cyp reginae (Bright and early!)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cyps just must have been a little too small. :( ALso I had problems w/ fungus gnats! :mad: Last fall I got some prev. bloomed ones though and planted the eyes so hopefully when it gets warmer...! :D

My cyps just must have been a little too small. :( ALso I had problems w/ fungus gnats! :mad: Last fall I got some prev. bloomed ones though and planted the eyes so hopefully when it gets warmer...! :D

Ouch... I've never had fungus gnats before. I'm sure your previously bloomed plants will bloom this year; be sure to post pics when they do!

I can't wait until this one opens. When it comes to Cyps, the only drawback is you usually have to wait all year to see a plant bloom for 2 weeks! That's why I like to have some early bloomers. :D

Like I said, I'm just going to keep adding them into the garden until I have a stand of them, the only problem is to protect them from the squirrels and birds!

Like I said, I'm just going to keep adding them into the garden until I have a stand of them, the only problem is to protect them from the squirrels and birds!

There's nothing like a stand of Cyps in the garden. Though they don't bloom for very long, while they bloom, IMO, they are unparalleled in beauty. I've never had animal problems with mine, but I've heard some people buy little "cages" that fit over the plant (a couple inches high) that protect the buds as they emerge.

Yeah, me too; I wish it was easier to get them here.

Believe it or not, it's not THAT easy to get them here, with the exception of pubescens, and reginae seedlings are usually available. But the really desirable stuff is still hard to find, at least locally. We are lucky to have just seen a guy open up in Calgary that sells rarer species and hybrids.

The problem is that not a lot of vendors here sell mature plants. I'm wondering how much something like that would cost here.

Well this plant cost me $70, which I thought was a good price for a plant of its size. A large reginae seedling that may bloom for the first time this year or next would run about $40. We generally pay $30-35 for multi-growth pubescens divisions in my society, which is really cheap as nurseries in Canada generally sell single-growth divisions for around $40.

I used to browse American vendors' catalogs for fun, even though I can't order from them. I think they usually sell BS reginaes for around $45, and larger ones for $60-70.

Update

Alright, the bloom is pretty much open now. Natural spread is 7.5 cm, or about 3 inches. The largest growth is now 19" tall, but it will likely still get to 20" or so. The smaller growth still has a bud coming. I have flowered better reginaes than this; the petals are reflexed a little (which I don't like), and the pouch is a little boxed (which I also don't like), but it is still a nice bloom and nice plant overall. Here are some pics taken today:

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 7
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back