Cyp reginae (Bright and early!)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score
I just bought this at a show this past weekend. I paid quite a bit, but it was just too big and robust to pass up. The other two reginaes I have have bloomed a maximum of two times and they are still young plants, but this one is a bit older. Hopefully it will clump a bit over time. Because I find Cyps so asthetically pleasing when they are leafing out, I decided to take a pic now. It will be in flower quite soon, probably on both stems. The taller stem is 15" tall right now, which is a little taller than my younger reginaes have grown to once they were in flower, the past couple of years. I have found this species to be quite slow-growing, even with lots of fertilizer.

Nice, I wish I could get some that size. Why are they leafing out this early in the season?

The previous owner had this plant on a stange cycle where it is put into dormancy earlier than normal and comes out earlier than normal, hoping to show it. However, it was a little too early for the show this weekend. I haven't decided whether I will try to get it on a natural cycle or leave it as is, and show it every year.

Nice! I'm trying my first pot culture reginae and would appreciate any tips you have. I let it go dormant last year (outside) and put it into the garage for the winter where the temps are right at the freezing mark (on really cold days) or mostly a bit above. I took it out this morning and put it into my grow room. Anything else I should be doing while I wait for new growth?

Nice! I'm trying my first pot culture reginae and would appreciate any tips you have. I let it go dormant last year (outside) and put it into the garage for the winter where the temps are right at the freezing mark (on really cold days) or mostly a bit above. I took it out this morning and put it into my grow room. Anything else I should be doing while I wait for new growth?

I always just keep the pot moist after dormancy, and after it starts leafing out I start fertilizing. In pot culture, Cyps need bright light, but not direct sun.

My aunt and uncle used to grow this species on the north side of their house back in Minnesota. They grew it in bog-like conditions. That's all I can remember out it. They are spectacular when they bloom! :)

Joe, what fertilizer do you use? I fertilized mine before at 1/8th the strength of Dynagro orchid fertilizer and they have fertilizer burn on leaf tips.. :(

Joe, what fertilizer do you use? I fertilized mine before at 1/8th the strength of Dynagro orchid fertilizer and they have fertilizer burn on leaf tips.. :(

Your reginae had fertilizer burn?? That really surprises me. I use a Miracle Gro perennial fertilizer on my Cyps, at half strength for reginae and hybrids and 1/4 strength for others. I also generally use media that have lots of organic material in them (like around 50% as opposed to the 30% or less in many mixes). As well, I always water with tap water, and mine is fairly hard.

It surprises me that a reginae would have fertilizer burn from that; it is a heavy feeder and I know of growers who fertilize it even more than I do!

Weird. I guess it depends on the growing media.. I use peat plus mulch mix with perlite and small pebbles. I was told to never fertilize the cyps because they are very sensitive to fertlizers! guess not :p Thanks :)

Nice! Who did you get it from? I've got one, but it's still young, and I have it outside now. I won't try to force it for a few more years.

Weird. I guess it depends on the growing media.. I use peat plus mulch mix with perlite and small pebbles. I was told to never fertilize the cyps because they are very sensitive to fertlizers! guess not :p Thanks :)

I think that everyone has their own experiences with plants and you can use others' advice together with trial and error to develop your own practices.

Nice! Who did you get it from? I've got one, but it's still young, and I have it outside now. I won't try to force it for a few more years.

I got it from Garden Slippers (Shawn Hillis), a new vendor in Calgary who is bringing in some great, hard to find species and hybrids. He has a limited selection of mature plants (most available during the spring/summer/fall only).

Latest posts

Back