cattleya labiata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

This is a cross between the clones Helena and Nomura and there are several examples of this on the web with better flower form.
This was my first cattleya purchase about five years ago.
The plant has flowered each year since then and gradually increased in size.
However this year it produced it biggest growth and by far the best flowering.
The blooms are big, at least for me, over 7 inches tall and the petals are about 4 inches long.
It has been open for 4 days and the lovely scent is just starting to become apparent.
This year is the first year I have grown it indoors all year.
It normally spends the summer in the cold greenhouse but this year I grew it on a west facing windowsill.
Anyway the question for me is - has the plant now just about reached 'maturity'?
Do others find catts do the same thing and there is quite a gap between 'flowering size' and 'mature'?
The photos were taken under the kitchen hob lights and I like the effect,
David

Attachments

• SRGC-img_8407.jpg
    SRGC-img_8407.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 40
  • SRGC-img_8408.jpg
    SRGC-img_8408.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 35
  • SRGC-img_8411.jpg
    SRGC-img_8411.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 34
Quintessential Catt you have there. Great growing. I am no expert but I grow my catt's outside in the summer and inside in South facing windowsills or under lights during winter. My experience is that these standard type catt's do have a gap between flowering size and a mature plant. And once they reach that mature size they are able to throw more energy into flowering and you tend to see increased flower count and more reliable flowering. Yours is a perfect example!

The last issue of Orchid Digest is all on the Cattleya family. If you have a chance to see it, do. I found it quite interesting and informative.

Great to have 4 of these beauties on one spike :clap: !!!! Jean

(Unfortunately my labiatas do not bloom regularly, so I am happy when there is some flower :-( )

Latest posts

Back