Cattleya lueddemanniana rubra ‘cesar fernandez’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_1488.jpegIMG_1492.jpegThis is a selected plant from first generation line breeding from wild collected clones. One of the parents is the well known clone, sarita.
As can be seen from the first photo. The plant isn’t exactly large and mature. I had a rot issue a couple of years ago which meant that the plant had to be divided and repotted during growth. It’s only just getting going now.
The flower has overlapping petals and should improve in form as the plant grows. The scent of this and sarita is strong and incredibly sweet. I love it.
It’s interesting to note that this species and labiata appear to be in continuous growth in the new grow room. They barely rest. Others like mossiae, warscewiczii and gaskelliana do their normal thing.
All clones of the same species do the same thing.
David

View attachment 44133View attachment 44134This is a selected plant from first generation line breeding from wild collected clones. One of the parents is the well known clone, sarita.
As can be seen from the first photo. The plant isn’t exactly large and mature. I had a rot issue a couple of years ago which meant that the plant had to be divided and repotted during growth. It’s only just getting going now.
The flower has overlapping petals and should improve in form as the plant grows. The scent of this and sarita is strong and incredibly sweet. I love it.
It’s interesting to note that this species and labiata appear to be in continuous growth in the new grow room. They barely rest. Others like mossiae, warscewiczii and gaskelliana do their normal thing.
All clones of the same species do the same thing.
David
David, you are going to be my comparison as I continue my fussiness and vary day length, light intensity, temperature, water, and nutrition to approximate in-situ conditions for my species. I can’t get it exact, but these parameters vary a good bit. If your parameters vary little and everything grows and blooms, we have evidence that seasonal changes aren’t worth the attention to detail.

Indeed thanks! It’s a lovely thing. I’m very much looking forward to seeing this flower on a mature plant. I have its parent sarita just opening with three blooms on a mature plant!

Indeed thanks! It’s a lovely thing. I’m very much looking forward to seeing this flower on a mature plant. I have its parent sarita just opening with three blooms on a mature plant!
Yes, there are many selected plant all over the world, all are beautiful, indeed, but when i have a look at this type of flower, like yours or at another, like another David's plant ( Emydura's old style roth), I think about the time and the feelings of first orchid hunters, when they saw( and felt) at first time similar plants on the trees, in the jungle.

Going to be incredible once it really gets going. I’m still surprised how variable flowerings can be year-to-year, so lots to look forward to with this one!

First gen line breeding, great result. What stunning colour and good shape, can only get better.

Latest posts

Back