Buds, buds, buds and more buds

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marc

Various Paph's in my collection are showing signs that they are going to produce some flowers in the coming weeks / months. I'm espescially excited about the first three pictures I'm showing in this topic because I have no idea what they are.

1: NOID, was given to me during the summer of last year. It was repotted and cared for but didn't do much last year because it was in quite a bad shape when I recieved this plant. Repotted this year again and the reward is showing. Long slim leaves with a "checkered" pattern.

IMG_0961k.jpg

2: NOID, same as nr. 1 plant looks very similar and recieved the same treatment.

IMG_0962.jpg

3: NOID, was bought 1.5 months ago, lost the first bud to rot, but was surprised to find two others in the making. Longer and broader leaves with a dark "checkered" pattern. And it's going to be an ALBA!!!!

IMG_0963.jpg

4: Paph. philippinense var. laevigatum, the plant I got from my parents for my birthday. Stem has four flowers and I'm looking forward to seeing them open.

IMG_0964.jpg

OMG! I can't believe the space between the first & second bud on the phili, I don't think I've seen anything like that!

OMG! I can't believe the space between the first & second bud on the phili, I don't think I've seen anything like that!

The plant got moved around a couple of times, I suspect that this might be related to it not getting enough light.

I've currently got it close to a south facing window, but it doesn't get any direct sunlight the whole day.

This morning I briefly checked the plants before going to work and to my big surprise there was the first tip ( less then 1mm ) of a new growth emerging between the leaves of Paph. nr.1 in this thread. YAY

Nice birthday present!

This philippinense has very broad leafs and the distance from the first flower to the second ist quite long. It's very interesting how different philippinense plants can be. You can find plants with leaf span of 20 cm to something comparable to gigantifolium...

Thanks for the comments so far, I'm updating this topic with a few more shots:

1: NOID

You can see the new growth that I mentioned earlier emerging. :D

IMG_0979.jpg

3: NOID

The first flower has become quite big.

IMG_0976.jpg

However the on the other side the left sepal seems to have fused with the dorsal. There are two stems on this plant so not all hope is lost. As soon as the first flower is fully open I'll make photo's of it and cut it. I hope the other growth doesn't show the same defect.

IMG_0977.jpg

If both flowers are affected can it still be an accident or is the fact that they originate from different growths enough reason to assume that next flowering the defect will still be there.

Just spoke to some people and I got the advice to not give up on this plant yet. Deforming might have been caused by cultural change / shock. Advice was to at least grow it till next flowering and see if the problem has gone away.

Plant is a vigurous grower or at least the ammount of roots it has produced makes it seem so. So I hope that next flowering will be within 6 months or so.

What's the growing site like? eg. how much light? Your plants look beautiful, but the phillie seems a bit dark leaved (hence may be growing in lower light than possible for it), so perhaps that's why the buds are developing so far from eachother on the stem?

The freak of nature shows its face. :p

IMG_0983.jpg

Allthough I didn't name it that nicely to start with I hope it recovers on it's 2nd blooming. It's a vigorous grower and I think the following shot is proof of that.

IMG_0984.jpg

The green Paph is Paphiopedilum Rosettii (insigne x Maudiae), a cross registered in 1908. Usually a very vigorous plant.

The roots look great. Next time, so will the flower.

Thanks, I repotted the plant directly after buying it in april. And the reward shows itself. The whole side of the pot is covered with new root tips. :D

The green Paph is Paphiopedilum Rosettii (insigne x Maudiae), a cross registered in 1908. Usually a very vigorous plant.

Thanks for the name, I did some googling with it and I think we've got a match. Another insigne hybrid for the collection. :clap:

Now I can only hope that it will bloom better.

Latest posts

Back