• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Auction Containing Come Nice Paphs!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a member of any of the local club (possibly later). I was member years ago but got annoyed and frustrated with the political and clique-iness especially after being VP of Malihini, I was done. Not to say I wont sit in on a meeting every once in a while. Just not ready to go back 100% yet.

As far as the legality of the plants, according to the USDA adductum is legal and anitum is listed as adductum var anitum. Asking a rep for a clarification it was simply stated that they do not get get any more specific than the species thus "var. anitum" is legal under the adductum species. This was more or less a direct quote from a USDA inspector at SFO. I asked an inspector that I saw at my freight carrier while getting a coral shipment inspected by Fish and Game. Ah multitasking!
Tyler

Did anyone else bid and win any of these plants ? Have you received your plants ??

I am having a hard time 'communicating' with the person in charge. Do not wish to send my credit card information to a stranger with a 'blank check' amount so they can figure out shipping costs later.

Charlie

Still waiting myself. Apparently the point person is handing off the plants and information to another person. Here is the email that I was sent after sending off a couple inquiries:
"Hi Tyler - I've been traveling all week and about to head out again on Monday. Our President, Cheryl Mizak will be shipping the plants. I am delivering them to her today. She will contact you with the shipping information so watch for an email from her - [email protected]
Thanks, Tyler.
Mary"

Goning to email Ms. Mizak right now to see the status of the auction. I was kinda thinking that the plants would have gotten here at least last week.

Tyler

Tyler,

How did you pay ?? They would not accept PayPal from me.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I used my CC #

It has not been charged (I look everyday). Hoping that the number is not floating out there in La La Land.

I used my cc too (by calling to Mary's home phone number). Mary has been responding to my emails quickly (great communication). She has been passing along the information to the shipper (Cheryl, the COS president).

I got two Maudiae x multiflora paph crosses, the Paph Hsinying Beltre, and the smaller Yan-Ji Diamond. I will let you know when I received my plants.

DeLuca Orchids still Available

Hi Everyone - It's Mary! I still have 40+ plants of Al's that need new homes.
These are on a first come/first served basis and there are prices on the list. If you are interested, just send me an email at [email protected] and I will send you the list. Sorry I don't know how to upload it here.

Cant wait to see it. My flask of anitum should have arrived yesterday. Stupid UPS messed up... unreal...

I have heard from Leo about his experience with this auction. Did any other members bid on, win and receive plants from the CT Orchid Society ?

Charlie

Yes.

Plants were in great shape. Repotted them in "my" mix, good thing because there was some depomposition of the media in the plant that I really want to do well.

Shipping seemed pretty steep but I am glad that everything arrived alive and not destroyed.

Tyler

A word of caution. Half of my plants were not in good condition, shipping and packing costs were high and subpar and some plants were damaged in shipping.

Anyone want to buy a Paph Julius ??

Charlie

Attachments

• Plant July 2012.jpg
    Plant July 2012.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 41
That's interesting, I have heard other reports that were "glowing".

I suppose it's to be expected though. These are plants from a dying man's collection. How much care could be have been given them, and how much since he passed?

Caveat emptor

I think that the older, larger established plants are in better condition. The newer, smaller seedlings and divisions are apt to be in poorer health and suffer more from shipping. My 2 cents.

I would ask for a photo before sending any money.

Charlie

I have asked for a refund. After 2 weeks of repeated emails, the COS response:

"As you know all plants had to be inspected by the Connecticut state plant inspector before being shipped. There should have been a certificate in your package, that verifys that the plants were in good health and cleared for shipping. If you did not receive the certificate we can provide you with a copy. The plant in the pic [Paph Julius] did have one cut leaf. The rest of the plant was in fine condition when inspected and given to the shipper.

We are a bit puzzled as we have sent out several shipments without incident.

We are sorry that some damage happened in transit as I was told by the shipper there is never a guarantee on shipping live plants. Even when I order from growers in Calif I take a chance with condition on arrival.

If you want to pursue shipping issues, condition of the package upon receipt, you will need to call the company that delivered your package. The shipper on this end can verify the package left his location in perfect condition.

Thank you for participating in our auction."

They maintain all the plants were in perfect condition, all packaged and shipped appropriately, any problems are my problems.

Charlie

PS Also have Paph philippinense for sale :mad:

Attachments

• plant July 2012.jpg
    plant July 2012.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back