AOS membership-- Is it worth it?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from KY. I was as AOS member for many years and then I just
got annoyed at all the in-fighting that had nothing to do with me or my
passion for orchids and dropped it. I also had about 15 years of bound
copies of ORCHIDS and no more room in my library to keep anymore!

I decided it wasn't worth it after being a member for close to 12yrs,and let my membership run out last month. I trashed most of my copies of Orchids as they came, unless I was told something good was in that issue. I guess that was a benefit of getting my copy almost 2-3wks every month.

I believe it is very much worth it, if you sign up for Orchid Plus. It has been a great tool for me in keeping current on the latest awards from every judging center, as some don't have websites. Not only that, but the fringe benefits and discounts have really helped out. If you plan on spending over $100 at a vendor you already make 1/4 of your subscription cost back (on a 2 year). As far as the internal turmoil goes, I myself as a subscriber have not been affected. I had no idea it was going on until I read something here. I try to stay removed from the gossip.

The AOS has done extensive conservation work that would otherwise go unnoticed. In the case of Central and South America they, along with MBG, have set aside acres and acres of land where some of our favorite phrags grow that would have been lost, eventually and inevitably. Make all the comments you want, I believe the organization is doing the best it can with what it has.

Latest posts

Back