AOS membership-- Is it worth it?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquacorps

Reaction score
My AOS membership is up for renewal in a few months. Last night I looked at a recent copy of Orchids. It was mostly ads. I am really having a hard time thinking of any reasons to be a member of the AOS. Any thoughts? Rusty

I've been a member for almost twenty years. I still find it a valuable resource for informative articles and the latest-and-greatest orchid stuff. It's entirely up to you, but I would renew.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering the same thing; but w/ so many magazines in the stores and only a couple on orchids available I decided it was worth renewing.

Your AOS membership also gives you a discount on the award fees. I don't know if you show your plants, but that is a consideration.

and gives free parking to most botanic gardens!
Did you respond to the email & snail mail notice to contact them regarding current info for a future members directory? They also try to sell you a member's pictorial, hard cover for a mere $100! Whe you say no thanks, then there's a soft cover for a lesser amount & when you say it's Christmas, I need to buy presents instead of spending that on myself, then they have something for $20!

Did you respond to the email & snail mail notice to contact them regarding current info for a future members directory? They also try to sell you a member's pictorial, hard cover for a mere $100! Whe you say no thanks, then there's a soft cover for a lesser amount & when you say it's Christmas, I need to buy presents instead of spending that on myself, then they have something for $20!
Thanks for the warning! Good thing I keep throwing those postcards into the recycle bin.

Your membership not only pays for the magazine, but aslo helps to support the judging of orchids, production of AQPlus, and many other things. BTW, Russell, the Gerda 'Magnificum' is in spike and should bloom within the month.:)

I have been a meember of the AOS for the past 4 years and enjoy many of the articles BUT the membership cost now, with the currency drop of the Aussie $ against the $US, I can't afford it any more, the value for me has gone.
When they stopped the hard copy of Awards Quarterly finished me to the greater extent.

Last edited:
I've been a member for 24 years now.....I probably don't need it, as I get all info online now, but I guess I re-subscribe for (expensive) sentimental value. But, get a 2 year subscription and you get a coupon worth $30 on a $100 order from Piping Rock, Krull-Smith, Carter & Holmes.....that's how I got my P. Angela that just opened tonight...Photo will come this weekend......Eric

Yea, I got that come-on also. No thanks!
But I think it's worth being a member of AOS, I think. It's a link to the orchid community if you use it. I don't know if the offer is still going on, but when I renewed, I got a percentage off (I think it was 30%) a purchase of $100 or more from selected vendors.

The American Orchid Society is the premier Orchid Society in America. The Society supports research, Orchid Society Shows, and a host of other benefits to the world of Orchids that benefits us all in so many ways. If the A.O.S., can be faulted for anything it is not telling it's members enough about all they do behind the curtain to keep us all informed and enjoying the plants we have chosen to cultivate and admire. I quite frankly think there is not enough advertising.

Should you join?

I have had issues with the A.O.S., but I choose to support all the good the society does for Orchids!

Theresa

If orchid people don't join and renew then there a good chance of losing it all. I think it would be quite a loss to not have judging. It's a channel to view and learn about some higher quality or botanically interesting flowers.

I have been member of AOS since almost 10 years now, and I think the magazine is for me a very interesting source of info about plants, suppliers and orchid people; but I am not going to call the US for their files Update :) ! Jean

AOS Membership

I've been an AOS member for the better part of thirty years. No other organization represents the orchid community as well as they do. For the cost of a plant or two (annually), you enable many activities to take place. People who describe this as a magazine subscription need to look at the full range of A.O.S. programs and activities.

Ken B.

The American Orchid Society is the premier Orchid Society in America. The Society supports research, Orchid Society Shows, and a host of other benefits to the world of Orchids that benefits us all in so many ways. If the A.O.S., can be faulted for anything it is not telling it's members enough about all they do behind the curtain to keep us all informed and enjoying the plants we have chosen to cultivate and admire. I quite frankly think there is not enough advertising.

Should you join?

I have had issues with the A.O.S., but I choose to support all the good the society does for Orchids!

Theresa

WELCOME Theresa! Your right - well said! I agree there isn't enough advertising. I remember years ago, I couldn't wait to go thru the ads to see what good deals would tempt me the most!

Newcomers - introduce yourself so we can give you a proper welcome! If you go to the bottom of the page to forum jump, pick Greetings & Salutations & tell us about yourselfs!

Should you join?

Theresa
Welcome Theresa to ST!

I've just resubscribed and I think the magazine is quite good still. Lots of ads but very informative articles.

It probably is worth it but if you've advanced beyond the complexity of the articles then maybe Orchid Digest is a better purchase.

Bolero, I already get Orchid Digest. I am not renewing and joining the Cymbidium Society of America instead. The deciding factor was how the AOS treated Howard Bronstein a few years ago.

Bolero, I already get Orchid Digest. I am not renewing and joining the Cymbidium Society of America instead. The deciding factor was how the AOS treated Howard Bronstein a few years ago.
Things have changed since then. There's new folks at the helm with a different attitude. There are still problems, but that's true with any organization.

Latest posts

Back