6 months into my first deflasking...how am I doing?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, one pic of the pack leader. Apologies for the brown spot... heating accident. 13 months from flask & 13" across.
20150918_150330.jpg

Looking good. I'm about to get a couple Phrag flasks from Peruflora so I'm curious to your methods. Are you just using moss and perlite? Standing them in water or just keeping them wet?

Looking good. I'm about to get a couple Phrag flasks from Peruflora so I'm curious to your methods. Are you just using moss and perlite? Standing them in water or just keeping them wet?

Yes, just sphagnum and perlite. I don't stand them in water, but I water frequently.

Is this typical of this cross? or phrag thing? :)
I've only had one flowering sized phrag ( schlimii x kovachii) and it did grow like a super weed during the time I had it, but your seedlings seem to grow really fast and I'm curious.

Even the pictures in the very first posting, the number of the leaves and the size of the seedlings 6 months after deflasking was unbelievable.
How big were they in flask? lol overgrown big time? or is this speedy growth normal for them?

I'm thinking normal flask-to-bloom time is 3 years.
It appears at least two and possibly three of its sisters are also spiking.

End of July 2014 in the mini flask from Woodstream (flask is about 2" dia)
20140729_132225.jpg

Mid Aug 2014 deflasked into 3" pot
20140812_105115.jpg

Jan 2015
20150115_182533.jpg

From there you can track growth from the beginning of the thread

As for revealing how I did it *looks at trash can with blood leaking out of the bottom*, Igor has learned his lesson.

Ok, that makes more sense now. I've never seen such HUHE seedlings in flask.
You had a jump start!

For comparison, for most paph seedlings i grow, they reach this size after at least one year out of flask.
Much smaller to begin with. lol

I was very shocked to see your results at first. lol
Still, great growing nonetheless!

Well, that was fast! Can't wait to see those blooms' congrats on such great growing. Maybe my Woodstream flasks will take the hint and start growing :eek:

David

Lol.
They were robust seedlings, no denying that, but I'm also growing them differently. We'll see if I can repeat this success with the Fritz Schomburgs. (Note that to me, success with them means blooming them in 2.5-3 years). I'd love to try pure besseae, as well.

I'm just About to receive a small flask of besseae flavum babies! What are you doing differently? Sphag and perlite in lights?

David

Back