Z. Kiwi Dusk x Pabstia jugosa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
I don't do much hybridizing, but this was an attempt to get a white zygo. I crossed a Z. Kiwi Dusk with a Pabstia jugosa. But I'm not sure that the plants are really that cross, or if the info and seeds didn't get mixed up somewhere along the way. Anyway, here are a couple of the better blooms from the cross, so far:

Pab_jugosaxZ_KiwiDusk.jpg

Pab_jugosaxZ_KiwiDusk2.jpg

Beautiful result, especially the first flower, and it looks about right for the cross. Pabstia seems to dominate the plant and color with Zygo influencing shape. Why do you question the parentage?

really interesting how differently the coloring is distributed to the progency:)!!! The 1st one is excellent imo!!!! Jean

I got to thinking about that one.

You sure it's zygo x pabstia and not the reciprocal? I was under the impression that zygos take over most of the form in intergeneric hybrids when they are the "mom".

For example, here's Zygo Perelandra x Pabstia jugosa from the greenhouse today:

Zygo%20Perelandra%20x%20Pabstia%20jugosa.jpg

What is a Pabstia jugosa? Never heard of it.
It used to be called Colax jugosa -- maybe you've heard that name?

Beautiful result, especially the first flower, and it looks about right for the cross. Pabstia seems to dominate the plant and color with Zygo influencing shape. Why do you question the parentage?
For a couple reasons:
1. At the same time, I also crossed Zygosepalum labiosum with Pabstia jugosa, and I'm thinking maybe they got mixed up somewhere along the way.
2. Z. Kiwi Dusk is a dark flower. All the flowers so far have opened light, and look more like labiosum than jugosa. But the growth habit is like Zygopetalum, not Zygosepalum.
3. Wouldn't there be some spotting from jugosa?

I got to thinking about that one.
You sure it's zygo x pabstia and not the reciprocal? I was under the impression that zygos take over most of the form in intergeneric hybrids when they are the "mom".
Pretty sure, Ray -- I'll check the log book again, but that's what I recall. Even so, I have doubts the name is right.

Just call it 'Mystery' !
I actually like the color of both, but to me it the form of the first one that helps grab one's attention! :clap: :drool:

youve got to use the "other" parent as the pod parent (mother), dont use a zygo as mother plant. pollen only

For a couple reasons:
1. At the same time, I also crossed Zygosepalum labiosum with Pabstia jugosa, and I'm thinking maybe they got mixed up somewhere along the way.
2. Z. Kiwi Dusk is a dark flower. All the flowers so far have opened light, and look more like labiosum than jugosa. But the growth habit is like Zygopetalum, not Zygosepalum.
3. Wouldn't there be some spotting from jugosa?

The color in the sepals didn't come from Pab. jugosa or Zspm. labiosum. You were hoping for light colored flowers, so why be surprised by them? To me it looks like jugosa is doing some color supression, much like Paph. delenatii. No spots from jugosa, but the Zygo's dark color is really from diffuse coalesced spots so the lack of distinct spots here isn't unexpected. When more of the cross bloom you may see some with distinct spots. I think the Zygo x Pabstia label is correct. Ray's plant looks like an accidental selfing of the Zygo to me.

youve got to use the "other" parent as the pod parent (mother), dont use a zygo as mother plant. pollen only
Why???

The color in the sepals didn't come from Pab. jugosa or Zspm. labiosum. You were hoping for light colored flowers, so why be surprised by them? To me it looks like jugosa is doing some color supression, much like Paph. delenatii. No spots from jugosa, but the Zygo's dark color is really from diffuse coalesced spots so the lack of distinct spots here isn't unexpected. When more of the cross bloom you may see some with distinct spots. I think the Zygo x Pabstia label is correct. Ray's plant looks like an accidental selfing of the Zygo to me.
I was expecting light (white) flowers from the labiosum/jugosa cross. I really didn't know what to expect from the Kiwi Dusk/jugosa cross, but I'm more surprised by the shape of the flowers than by the color. I expected the jugosa shape to be more influential. Kiwi Dusk is a typical Z. shape, with a larger lip than jugosa.

I hope you are right.

Latest posts

Back