Z. Kiwi Dusk x Pabstia jugosa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this last one a lot Dot because of the very interesting distribution of color intensity on petals, sepals and lip!!!! Jean

very nice cross... normally I do not care for Zygos & Co, but this cross is pretty nice... and a very interesting variability.... especially I like N° 1, 7 and the last one!

I want to revive this thread -- I'd still like to know for sure what this cross is: Z. Kiwi Dusk x Pabstia jugosa or Pabstia jugosa x Zygosepalum labiatum? I am leaning toward the original tag which is Z. x Pabstia. As I mentioned earlier, the records got lost, and we are not sure what came back from the lab.

This is the 14th I've photographed, and it's fragrant:
ZygosepalumxPabstia14.jpg

What a great show of variation!
How much plants of this cross did you grow to bloom, Dot?

I got to thinking about that one.

You sure it's zygo x pabstia and not the reciprocal? I was under the impression that zygos take over most of the form in intergeneric hybrids when they are the "mom".

For example, here's Zygo Perelandra x Pabstia jugosa from the greenhouse today:

Zygo%20Perelandra%20x%20Pabstia%20jugosa.jpg

Do Zygos self pollinate?

What a great show of variation!
How much plants of this cross did you grow to bloom, Dot?
The cross was quite prolific. Bill Porter (Porter's Orchids) is growing up the seedlings in his greenhouse. As I see them bloom, I take home the ones I want to keep.
Do Zygos self pollinate?
After seeing the growth habit and shape of the flowers, I think this is actually a cross between Pabstia jugosa and Zygosepalum labiosum. I made that cross at the same time as Z. Kiwi Dusk x Pabstia jugosa. Long story, but I think the lab got the names mixed up and sent these with the wrong name. The plants tend to be climbers, and neither jugosa nor Kiwi Dusk have that habit, but labiosum sure does!

The cross was quite prolific. Bill Porter (Porter's Orchids) is growing up the seedlings in his greenhouse. As I see them bloom, I take home the ones I want to keep.

Wow, I would love to get such a very special service for my seedlings too!

Back