Yellow and more yellow...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi John,

By "horribly salty", I mean both! When I got my water analysed, I've been told that there was more than 550 tds (overall) and approx 205 mg/L of sodium (Na). I never used my tap water for my orchids. Before my RO system, I was using only rain water. I think I could bring some tap water from work too and add some at the rate you proposed...

Would you use the recipe you gave me for all the orchids or just for paphs?

When you say to never use only pure water, what should I do? Always put some fertilizer in it?

What kind of hydroponic feed would you use?

Thanks ;)

Do you have other paphs or orchids? If yes, how do they look?

I ask because given your description that roots are fine and you feed on a regular basis, it just seems like a mystery.
If anything, maybe overfertilzation?

I doubt this is deficiency. One because you are feeding often, and two, I have grown orchids, paphs and others, without any fertilization for about one year.
I could not tell any difference. They still grew perfectly fine and bloomed well.

So, I'm curious how your other plants (assuming you treat them the same way) compare in their appearance.

Yes, I have plenty of orchids (132 actually...). Paphs, phrags, phals, aerangis, neofs... and more! I think I can say they are fine and doing very well! Only a few paphs have some real issues: that tigrinum, niveum and woluwense. Other than that, in majority, no major problem, life seems to be good ;)

Then I don't think it is due to culture since all else are doing well.
Maybe just some divas. lol

BTW, I wish I had a Woluwense! I mean the one that actually blooms. hahaha

Hi John,

By "horribly salty", I mean both! When I got my water analysed, I've been told that there was more than 550 tds (overall) and approx 205 mg/L of sodium (Na). I never used my tap water for my orchids. Before my RO system, I was using only rain water. I think I could bring some tap water from work too and add some at the rate you proposed...
Yes, that's a lot of Sodium. Can you still collect rainwater? Try it on the yellowing plants to see if they green up. Rain water is the best choice, if you can get it.

Would you use the recipe you gave me for all the orchids or just for paphs?
I didn't give you a recipe. I gave you an example of the ratio I use. The actual amount of fertilizer you put in each litre of water, or gallon, or whatever, depends on how concentrated the manufacturer made it and what they recommend as full strength. As a rule of thumb, I use fertilizer at 1/4 the recommended strength that is recommended for outdoor plants like Roses. For example: If the manufacturer says to use their fertilizer on outdoor Roses at a rate of 1 teaspoon per litre of water, then, I'd use the fertilizer at 1/4 teaspoon per litre of water on my orchids. Yes, I use this ratio on all my orchids, not just Paphs.

When you say to never use only pure water, what should I do? Always put some fertilizer in it? I have done that; but, at about 1/10th strength, not 1/4 strength. I still use the 1/4 strength on fertilizing day. Instead of adding fertilizer, I found it easier to just add about 10% tap water back into my R.O. water, all the time.

What kind of hydroponic feed would you use? Currently, I use Plant Prod's 7-11-27 with Calcium Nitrate. However, they have stopped making that available in single 15 kg bags. Now, growers have to order it in huge batches. So, when I run out, I'll have to switch to something else.

Thanks ;)

Latest posts

Back