Are these leaves too yellow?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another source of the confusion is if a vendor buys a good quality plant, rename it and sells under a new name. Eg. I was at the Dresden EOC few year ago, the Grand Prix landed at a roth, it was very nice plant, indeed.The name was "Anja". Later i got the info about the plant, really it was a division from Orchid Inn, original name was "Fine Five" x "Atticus".

Well that's the point, I know a lot of those things, New Horizon x Raptor, Canadian Club x Idontremember, and others bloomed around the world. Until today, none of those plants has bloomed even remotely close to one of any of those parents.

The ones from Tony are the Taiwanese generic. You can buy them as well in Europe, either with US pedigree, or German pedigree, that's up to your taste. I posted 1-2 as a joke on my Facebook. They are very constant in their 'flower quality', which is awful.

For a New Horizon x Raptor, I saw myself recently a couple plants too. The plant size and leaf shape are all wrong for the parents, I don't even mention the flowers that do not even come close. Plus, Raptor realy progeny has usually a very good shape...

Look at what Raptor gives as a pollen parent, note that it is (Lady Isabel x roth) x roth 'Raptor', not yet Sunlight Sky Roths, but the parent...

https://ameblo.jp/yossy1961/entry-12819794788.html

Then you can realize that those New Horizon x Raptor have nothing of their pedigree. About orchids, yes it is a business, and if you do the things properly, you need to accept to pay a top price for a motherplant, then wait 1-2 years to have seedlings to deflask. Then at least 5 years ( I do that in 2 1/2 years, but the cost and care is higher though...) to have adult plants, etc... So from a 'real' motherplant to a plant that can be sold, it takes 2-5 years depending on the species, even at the seedling stage.

The option of buying those generic 5US rothschildianum in Taiwan, or urbanianum for 4 eur 'adults', or delenatii vinicolor for 5 eur 'adults', or generic Complex Paphiopedilum for 6.5 eur in flower pot plant, and selling them after some days is of course economically much more interesting. Not honest, but that's how to make a fast profit.

Most hobbyists will have as well :

- Not good enough skills to grow the seedlings to blooming size. In the dustbin, they won't bloom and prove they are something else...
- If they have, they either ' did not win the genetic lottery', or 'did not grow them well enough'
- If they still scream, the plant can be replaced/refunded. Out of 100 seedlings at let's say 40US = 4000 US if the trader has to refund even 10 x 40Us = 400 US out of 100 plants he paid 500US max, it is still a great profit...

Very few pro growers even can comment about this, because one needs to bloom a lot of plants to know what is possible, and what is not. But the roths I see blooming with those pedigrees are 100% certain not to be from the parents said, there is no discussion about it...

That's how the life works, in... real life.

You mentioned that the plant size and leaves are all wrong on these plants. My plants are too young to bloom yet, so I don’t know what the flowers will be like. Are there specific things to look for with the leaves? Thanks

This is absolutely fascinating. I think any roth is a good roth but the line-breeding is always interesting. I gave away my “fancy” ones because they didn’t grow as well as my legacy plant. I remember “Tarantula” was claimed as a parent. I should ask the folks to whom I gave them if they’ve bloomed; it’s been long enough.

We will add another story, for many people to spend a nice day. In the 90s the Orchid Zone released a lot of sanderianum 'Deep Pockets' x 'Jacob's Ladder'. I have been the first one to bloom them, and it was PEOY. When I told Terry Root he was kind of angry. When the Taiwanese bloomed a year or so later PEOY out of them, it started to be a bit of a concern.

The story is simple. The Orchid Zone had 2 famous sanderianum motherplants, pictured everywhere. They did not give any progeny. So they bought flasks of 'sanderianum' from Norris Powell... that turned out to PEOY. But in any case, the flasks from Norris could never, ever, be Deep Pockets x Jacob's Ladder as parents...

We will add another story, for many people to spend a nice day. In the 90s the Orchid Zone released a lot of sanderianum 'Deep Pockets' x 'Jacob's Ladder'. I have been the first one to bloom them, and it was PEOY. When I told Terry Root he was kind of angry. When the Taiwanese bloomed a year or so later PEOY out of them, it started to be a bit of a concern.

The story is simple. The Orchid Zone had 2 famous sanderianum motherplants, pictured everywhere. They did not give any progeny. So they bought flasks of 'sanderianum' from Norris Powell... that turned out to PEOY. But in any case, the flasks from Norris could never, ever, be Deep Pockets x Jacob's Ladder as parents...
I remember seeing a picture of Jacobs ladder in the orchid review when I was a kid and being stunned that such a plant existed. I was desperate to own one, Sanderianum that is, I knew I would never get that actual plant, took me another 20 years into my late 20's to get one, but I was very pleased when i did. Is there any where in The US that supplies good paphs to the UK?

Dave at Paph Paradise would be the man to talk to. I don't know if he exports directly or if you would need a broker of some sort but you'll get the best Paphs in the US from him.
Yeah, I have reached out to Paph paradise, I would love to get some plants from there, hopefully in the future it will be possible.

That really is a bit dodgy, selling on other nursery flasks as your own and then not turning out to be correct, then as the truth begins to come out feigning anger.

This is all concerning to hear, I have a couple of Roth seedlings I paid a lot of money for, King Kong x Sandy and Knight Sunshine x Tarantula. Is the likelihood then, that what I have paid for and what I have received are unlikely to be the same? The attached Roth has New Horizon x Raptor on the label, I have to admit I expected it to be larger with better colour, I put this down to it being a first bloom seedling, but now I am having my doubts. Thoughts?
That's one of the better New Horizon x Raptor seedlings I've seen posted. Congrats!

Dave at Paph Paradise would be the man to talk to. I don't know if he exports directly or if you would need a broker of some sort but you'll get the best Paphs in the US from him.
I bought a lot of the ones Dave had. He gets them from reputed grower in Tiawan.

'Deep Pockets' is still around, TON had it last year for a pretty penny. I don't doubt it's authenticity but by now the stuff coming out if Tiawan is probably much better... assuming you get it from a honest grower.

'Deep Pockets' is still around, TON had it last year for a pretty penny. I don't doubt it's authenticity but by now the stuff coming out if Tiawan is probably much better... assuming you get it from a honest grower.

Mmmmh for certain Deep Pockets died a long time ago... though it would not deter certain persons to sell 'divisions' of course....

Lot of interesting information in this thread, but .....
Another source of the confusion is if a vendor buys a good quality plant, rename it and sells under a new name. Eg. I was at the Dresden EOC few year ago, the Grand Prix landed at a roth, it was very nice plant, indeed.The name was "Anja". Later i got the info about the plant, really it was a division from Orchid Inn, original name was "Fine Five" x "Atticus".
..... in this case I can't see anything wrong. 'Anja' is the cultivar name of this single plant and has nothing to do with its parentage or pedigree. As far as I know you can als give a division of "Fine Five" x "Atticus" the cultivar name 'Anja' because all prodigies of "Fine Five" x "Atticus" might be slightly different and the cultivar name means a special plant out of the pool of prodigies.
But one thing is for sure .... he can't sell many plants named 'Anja' .... but 'Anja' x self or 'Anja' x 'XY' this should be possible.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back