Would it be possible to grow slippers in this overgrown area?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dane

I have been refixing areas around our house where i can possibly grow orchids. This area has been on my list for refixing up. Would it be a suitable grow area for slippers all year round? It is quite a cool area only getting up to about 24'C in summer and in winter it goes down to about 5'C . It is covered with about 80% shade cloth and the area does not get very dry, always with a high humidity! If it would be possible to grow slippers there, what whould you recomend ?
DSCN0563.jpg

DSCN0562.jpg

The coolest part
DSCN0561.jpg

I like the block structure and floor, but 5C for a winter low is pretty cold for most slippers. You might have some luck with the Parvi's from Southern China like armenicum or micranthum. But if you can enclose it and provide at least 13-15C you can increase you selection dramatically.

50% shade is probably fine.

What is the humidity in % RH?

I think trying to grow slippers outside in England will lead to disappointment. All you need is one hard freeze and....... So I would consider knocking up a nice solid treated pine frame with say 4'' wide beams so you can line both the inside and the outside with UV resistant polythene. This will give you good insulation because you will want to warm it sometime in the future and you'll want to save as much as you can on heating bills. So I would rip down all the shade cloth and line it all with the plastic first. You will also need to get yourself a second hand door which you can fit. When thats all done you can replace the shade. It shouldn't be too expensive to bring the temp up to 12c min. from 5C. Then you will be able to grow all the Nth Vietnam, Sth China and Indo/Burmese species. Also consider how the air will be moved around and make sure you make it totally snail proof! I can here them drooling from here:)

I like the block structure and floor, but 5C for a winter low is pretty cold for most slippers. You might have some luck with the Parvi's from Southern China like armenicum or micranthum. But if you can enclose it and provide at least 13-15C you can increase you selection dramatically.

50% shade is probably fine.

What is the humidity in % RH?

Humidity in that area is at about 70%RH in the afternoon in autumn:)
In summer i can go much higher

I would say, go for it! Get some hybrid Parvis to start! Figure out how to give them enough protection in the winter. Do you have a local orchid society? They would be the best help!

I think trying to grow slippers outside in England will lead to disappointment. All you need is one hard freeze and....... So I would consider knocking up a nice solid treated pine frame with say 4'' wide beams so you can line both the inside and the outside with UV resistant polythene. This will give you good insulation because you will want to warm it sometime in the future and you'll want to save as much as you can on heating bills. So I would rip down all the shade cloth and line it all with the plastic first. You will also need to get yourself a second hand door which you can fit. When thats all done you can replace the shade. It shouldn't be too expensive to bring the temp up to 12c min. from 5C. Then you will be able to grow all the Nth Vietnam, Sth China and Indo/Burmese species. Also consider how the air will be moved around and make sure you make it totally snail proof! I can here them drooling from here:)

err, Mike, East London in in sunny South Africa, not cold n rainy England. It is a city on the Eastern Cape coastline.
Dane, I would suggest you check and see how the sun hits that structure, as the current plant life does not look to be doing so great. Make sure that it is not shaded by a couple of large trees or your house. If it gets a reasonable ammount of sunlight, then I would consider taking off the current shade cloth and reducing the percentage to let it a bit more light, a plastic cover or polycarb roof sheeting protection will prevent the weather getting in. A decent door to seal it off and it should keep the temp up nicely in winter. I grow my paphs with only the minimum of heating, and have never seen any major ill effects from the occational dip in temperature, provided it does not go below zero. Our winter cold is only realy at night, with the temperature above 20 before 11am again. So with a little bit of work to seal the structure, I believe it should hold a reasonable temp untill the early morning hours, and only below 8 on a few nights. To keep those few nights a bit warmer with a heater will not be a big expense or problem. I place a single heater in the greenhouse on a time switch to warm from midnight to 5am. My max/min thermometershows an occational drop below 10 degrees. I forsee light being your biggest problem.

err, Mike, East London in in sunny South Africa, not cold n rainy England. It is a city on the Eastern Cape coastline.
Dane, I would suggest you check and see how the sun hits that structure, as the current plant life does not look to be doing so great. Make sure that it is not shaded by a couple of large trees or your house. If it gets a reasonable ammount of sunlight, then I would consider taking off the current shade cloth and reducing the percentage to let it a bit more light, a plastic cover or polycarb roof sheeting protection will prevent the weather getting in. A decent door to seal it off and it should keep the temp up nicely in winter. I grow my paphs with only the minimum of heating, and have never seen any major ill effects from the occational dip in temperature, provided it does not go below zero. Our winter cold is only realy at night, with the temperature above 20 before 11am again. So with a little bit of work to seal the structure, I believe it should hold a reasonable temp untill the early morning hours, and only below 8 on a few nights. To keep those few nights a bit warmer with a heater will not be a big expense or problem. I place a single heater in the greenhouse on a time switch to warm from midnight to 5am. My max/min thermometershows an occational drop below 10 degrees. I forsee light being your biggest problem.

This area doesn't get much light in the one part in winter, but in summer it gets plenty sunlight... I will try what you said, thanks for the idea:clap:

Latest posts

Back