Why don't some of you actually READ my book?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sanderianum, the stonei in the photos are obviously jungle collected. The root system is so damaged that it can fit inside that small pot. Well cultivated stonei has quite extensive roots.. But I can't be sure about the barbata species that you have shown above (sugiyamanum and dayanum)..

Sanderianum, the stonei in the photos are obviously jungle collected. The root system is so damaged that it can fit inside that small pot. Well cultivated stonei has quite extensive roots.. But I can't be sure about the barbata species that you have shown above (sugiyamanum and dayanum)..

Not necessarily Paphioboy.

The blooming stonei that I posted this spring (with a 30 inch leaf span) is in a 2" pot. The pot is crammed with roots, but many of my big multiflorals seem happy to be that underpotted. I raised it from seedling (Paphinatics source via Orchid Babies) to bloom in 4 years.

I also have a couple of Matt Gores stoneis'. I can tell they were divisions of larger plants and I know they were Asian imports. They were a bit shocky at first but they are adding growths now and looking good. I can probably rest assured that they are stoneis based on Sanderianums knowledge of the situation. I also got a couple of his ciliolare that are also doing well, but they do not appear to be divisions from bigger plants, although they were also Asian imports.

I sent pollen to SlipperKing from my last ciliolare blooming, so we should be able to get a few seedlings moving to US hobbyists in a few years.

Yes I agree with you completely. Can you explain that to my wife? I need a heated hot house out in the backyard as soon as possible.............

Sanderianum- what do you mean by "precultivated"? Do you mean a wild collected plant that has grown and been divided? Technically, those would be OK by CITES (assuming that the parent was collected and originally propagated in its country of origin...theoretically, that is..not like its likely to be provable). Also, having grown on would allow the plant to adapt to cultivation. To most of us, wild collected means dug up, shipped out, potted up. To me, a plant that has been grown long enough to divide is a propagated plant..I would consider it "wild", or "natural", but its still propagated. Take care, Eric

Yes, precultivated means ,as an example for the sugiyamanum, they have been collected from the wild, put in a pot for some weeks or 2-4 months, they made 1 leaf and they are sold. Of course it is not OK by the CITES at all, because each plant is a plant from the jungle, there is no division or real propagation.

The volonteanum as an example have been collected straight out of the jungle, the ciliolare have been collected, they made 2 leaves, and they were sold.

NYEric, yes it means every single of those plants is coming from the wild by itself, not divided or otherwise. The wholesaler is located in Johore, but the exporter is much further north. The stonei are very typical of fresh jungle plants as well. Many people think of jungle collected plants as a big mess with all broken roots and leaves, but in fact, the exporters browse through the fresh batches, and choose plants that look not too damaged, such as the stonei or the volonteanum. The really damaged plants end up in the garbage, for three reasons. First one, a damaged one will take years to restart and look nice again, second, most of the exporters do not know how to grow them, third, the fresh plants are so cheap that it is not even interesting to buy a pot to pot them.

The other problem being that those plants are not 'adapted to cultivation' at all. The real diseases and hard time for a wild collected paph is around 6 months to a year. That's why they sell them as fresh from the jungle, or precultivated 2-4 months. Keeping them 1 year without very careful, proper care, would mean losses up to 90%.

As for the stonei, they are usually collected in big clumps, and divided/cut to fit the orders. The exporters have a standard size, like 2 growths plants, so they cut accordingly the fresh plants. If you are lucky and they are extrafresh, they can restart without too much trouble. If they have been stored improperly for a couple weeks, they will be gone within a year or two maximum.

The point is not to criticize that plants are still wild collected - in fact some species are so common in the wild, like sanderianum, that it's nearly unbelievable. They are there by the dozen of thousands, collected by the thousands, but still many colonies... The point is to inform clearly, and show how thew things are really doing. Sugiyamanum is far more rare than sanderianum or rothschildianum in the wild. Furthermore a jungle plant has to be grown in a different way from a seedgrown plant for some years, that's why the buyer must know the origin of the plants he buys...

The last point is that the plants are selected to be crappy. As for ciliolare, there is a quite common strain called ciliolare gigantea. The plants are 40-50 leafspan, blooms in the 12-15 cm. Really gorgeous. In fact they are so big that Golamco when he described paph xMindanaense though they were superbiens.

Randsii exists as randsii gigantea, 2m leafspan plants, 10-18 flowers on a stem. Some sanderianun are over 1.2m leafspan. There are jungle rothschildianum that have 6-7 40 cm flowers and are bigger than an average kolopakingii.... Think of using one of those plants to replace Rex in the world famous Rex x Mt Millais cross, and clearly RxMM would become just as average as Charles E x Borneo is right now...

But those plants will never be exported from Malaysia, Philippines... They take medium to small sized plants, because there are less leaf markings than the big ones, they dehydrate within some months, where a very large randsii would dry up in a couple of weeks, so they can be stored awaiting the customer... The collectors always charge by bag, and one bag would have around 400-600 ciliolare medium size, but only 100-200 ciliolare giant strain. For roth, a bag would be 120 plants of the medium size, but only 10-15 of the giant strain.

If there were real growers of paphs in Malaysia and Philippines - with 1-2 notable exceptions in Malaysia, one exports, the other one not... - they would force the collector to take some of those amazing plants, and propagate specimens that would be completely mind-blowing.

By the way, watch those ciliolare for brevipalpus mites. The asian grower of those ciliolare has a lot of spidermites in his place, and that's a imidacloprid-boosted strain of brevipalpus, nasty to kill...

Not necessarily Paphioboy.

The blooming stonei that I posted this spring (with a 30 inch leaf span) is in a 2" pot. The pot is crammed with roots, but many of my big multiflorals seem happy to be that underpotted. I raised it from seedling (Paphinatics source via Orchid Babies) to bloom in 4 years.

Oh, yes Rick.. I remember your plant.. Have you repotted it yet..? :p and not to mention Dr Orchid's multi paphs, which always bloom in small pots. But apart from root mass, I think its quite clear that those stonei shown above are wild collected.. Wild plants often have reddish brown markings and even lichens growing on their leaves, something that you don't find on nursery-grown plants..

Sanderianum, I know that Hourai orchids in Malaysia genuinely propagates paphs from seed and they export as well.. Were you referring to them..?

Lance's book is on the way to my house. Can't wait to get it! I sounds awesome! It will be a well read book, I can tell! Very reasonably priced, too.

Oh, yes Rick.. I remember your plant.. Have you repotted it yet..? :p and not to mention Dr Orchid's multi paphs, which always bloom in small pots. But apart from root mass, I think its quite clear that those stonei shown above are wild collected.. Wild plants often have reddish brown markings and even lichens growing on their leaves, something that you don't find on nursery-grown plants..

Sanderianum, I know that Hourai orchids in Malaysia genuinely propagates paphs from seed and they export as well.. Were you referring to them..?

Yes Hourai propagates quite a fair share of their offer of paphs. So far they are the only one to do it in Malaysia. The remaining is close to none...

hey lance
love the book. i always reference it. i agree with more or less everything in it and my cultural practices are only slightly varied..

Yes Hourai propagates quite a fair share of their offer of paphs. So far they are the only one to do it in Malaysia. The remaining is close to none...

I work often with Houray and can confirm that they are the only nursery in Malaysia that really propagate paph species.

Another interesting basic fact is CITES.I have helped them with some strange CITES procedures some years ago.They wanted to talk and do a REAL CITES registered nursery.As I live near Switzerland I was able to go to Geneve and talk to central CITES officials.After several years Houray managed to be a Geneve Cites Registered Nursery for Malaysian species reproduction.
Go to this page and press malaysia on the left.

http://www.cites.org/common/reg/e_nu.html

If we look all this pages,we can see that there are nearly no other "REAL" authorized nursery in south east asia(2 in Myanmar and strangely really a lot in India).So In theory "NO ONE" can export App I plants legally from SEA than those nurseries...

Maybe Sanderianum or someone else can explain us how this works and how ex..thailand exports thousands Paphs with Cites but dont have an "authorized" nursery.

And also if an authorized nursey registered in this list,that have the authorization of CITES for reproduce the Vietnam species that are illegal in the usa,can export there legal plants and flasks...

Someone knows?

Back