Why can't every Monday be like this!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is great for you that they'll refund your money, or replace the frozen plants; but, I wonder why they were sent in the first place?

I've started shipping some plants, including a big roth in bloom. But, I watched the weather forecast for my area and for the destination area and simply waited for above freezing temps in both, even if it's just barely above freezing. I also included heat packs in the box and used a styrofoam box with a tight-fitting lid, for insulation against the cold. Good thing too, because Canada Post screwed up (as usual!) and the box ended up sitting in a truck outside overnight with -2*C temps; but, the plant was fine.

Yah this is not the 1st bad experience I've had with Canada Post.....and I missed a big roth in bloom from you!!! :sob: Ohh the Paph. Chiu Hua Dancer now has 2 open blooms but I'm thinking I will wait till a 3rd one opens before I post pictures or all 4 :p

Unfortunately, the courier companies are not much better than Canada Post. The only thing you can do is pack VERY well and assume that the box will be drop-kicked everywhere and be left out in freezing temps. But, it helps to not ship when it's that cold. I shipped the roth because the customer had bought it last fall and we were waiting for the warmer weather. But, the plant came into bloom and it'd be nice if my customer got to enjoy the blooms, not me. I had his money....he needed his plant; so, I suggested that we take advanatage of a warmer "window" in the weather and I'd take extra precautions as well (heat packs and styro box). 'Looking forward to the CHD photos....

Here is an update. They have replaced every plant that had frost damage and sent a couple extra

- Phrag. Kovachii x4
- Phrag. Barbara Leann (Besseae x Fischeri) x Besseae
- Phrag.Fritz Schomberg (Kovachii x Besseae)
- Phrag. Hanne Popow (Besseae x Schlimii) x kovachii
- Phrag. Incan Treasure (Kovachii x Longifolium)
- Masd. Maui Gold

At this point I'm sure the Phrag. Barbara Leann x Besseae, and 1 of the Phrag. Kovachii is going to make it from the 1st shipment that had some frost damage. I'm not sure about the other ones yet.

This shipment arrived with no damage at all. All plants are healthy.

Latest posts

Back