Corysanthes hispida 'Wulgulmerang' FCC/AOC, ACE/AOC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
I got a nice surprise yesterday when my Helmet Orchid received an FCC Award. There was a judges workshop this weekend in Canberra, and I was asked to bring this plant to be judged after it was seen at our societies monthly meeting last week. I was hopeful it may get some award as the flowers are much larger than the only clone of this species to be previously awarded more than 20 years ago. But it is rare for Australian terrestrial orchids to be awarded, so I really had no idea what to expect. So when I received a text telling me to come and pick up my FCC awarded plant, I was stunned. The flowers on this clone are absolutely enormous when compared to the typical flower for this species. Terrestrial orchid enthusiasts are always stunned when they see it in person. So, it is something special. As I was about to leave, I was also told it received an ACE cultural award as if it was just an afterthought.

The clone originated from Mt Hamilton in Wulgulmerang (Victoria), hence the clonal name.

I was pretty rapt with this award. It is the first non-slipper orchid award I have received and as I have said, Australian terrestrial orchids rarely get awarded at any level. This is the first Australian terrestrial orchid to receive an FCC award and the first to receive an ACE cultural award. So, it is great to see these wonderful orchids starting to get recognised by judges.

Corysanthes%20hispida%201.jpg

Corysanthes%20hispida.jpg

Last edited:
Heartily congratulations on the awards from the Northern Hemisphere, David!

These li'll, big flowers look like small lantern lights. Wonderful contrasts in their colouring. One almost expect a little elf popping by to pick up his lantern, before walking home through the dark forest, maybe a little tipsy from having just one glass of nectar too much!

And what is it they are saying: the FCC is of the flowers merit, the cultural award of the grower's!

Heartily congratulations on the awards from the Northern Hemisphere, David!

These li'll, big flowers look like small lantern lights. Wonderful contrasts in their colouring. One almost expect a little elf popping by to pick up his lantern, before walking home through the dark forest, maybe a little tipsy from having just one glass of nectar too much!

And what is it they are saying: the FCC is of the flowers merit, the cultural award of the grower's!

Thanks Jens. Very funny. Your description is very apt as these orchids are naturally found in shady, damp, humid forests. They would be my favourite Australian terrestrial orchid. Such a unique looking flower. Relatively easy to grow too.

Congrats, glad to see there are still people out there who appreciate native plants and will reward them accordingly! Thanks for sharing!

Amazing little fellow! Congrats David.
I typically don't look past the paph folder but your name caught my eye.
Whowww just Amazing.

I got a nice surprise yesterday when my Helmet Orchid received an FCC Award. There was a judges workshop this weekend in Canberra, and I was asked to bring this plant to be judged after it was seen at our societies monthly meeting last week. I was hopeful it may get some award as the flowers are much larger than the only clone of this species to be previously awarded more than 20 years ago. But it is rare for Australian terrestrial orchids to be awarded, so I really had no idea what to expect. So when I received a text telling me to come and pick up my FCC awarded plant, I was stunned. The flowers on this clone are absolutely enormous when compared to the typical flower for this species. Terrestrial orchid enthusiasts are always stunned when they see it in person. So, it is something special. As I was about to leave, I was also told it received an ACE cultural award as if it was just an afterthought.

The clone originated from Mt Hamilton in Wulgulmerang (Victoria), hence the clonal name.

I was pretty rapt with this award. It is the first non-slipper orchid award I have received and as I have said, Australian terrestrial orchids rarely get awarded at any level. This is the first Australian terrestrial orchid to receive an FCC award and the first to receive an ACE cultural award. So, it is great to see these wonderful orchids starting to get recognised by judges.

Corysanthes%20hispida%201.jpg

Corysanthes%20hispida.jpg
Is it slow growing? It's like lilly pads 😍

Is it slow growing? It's like lilly pads 😍

Grows pretty fast. These are terrestrial orchids which have tubers (small bulbs). They die down around November and the leaves commence growing in early Autumn. Each tuber can produce several new tubers, so it multiplies very quickly. I am currently repotting my terrestrial orchids for next season.

Latest posts

Back