• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WANTED: paph mastersianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pouchman

Wanted:

paph mastersianum! I have been looking for this for quite some time and am hoping someone out there has something bigger than a "seedling" in a 2" pot.
I am really looking for something blooming size or close to..
thanks
david

:clap::clap: WELCOME pouchman! :rollhappy: I like your screen name!
Please tell us where you're located, this could help with suggestions. You'll notice some of us have our location in the upper right corner, I can't encourage new & older members alike to edit their personal info & include this, it really helps & saves time on replies.

I have 2 that I got from Thanh Nguyen (Springwater Orchids). I haven't seen them on his lists recently, but he may be worth contacting. He's a regular on Ebay, and all his plants are good.

I have some tiny seedlings - just twiddle your thumbs for a year or so.....
Actually, contact Dean Hung. He got me a three growth adult plant. He's the Paphiness owner. He specializes in unusualia in Paphs.

paphiness?

Chris: Actually, on a recomendation, I have tried several times to email Pahiness (Dean Hung).... I have not gotten a reply, so I can figure one of a couple things... 1. I have the wrong address and my emails went into cyberspace. 2. He is too busy, and hasn't had the time to respond, or 3. he doesn't take my requests serious..... anyhow, I will keep on my mission to find this plant...
thanks
d

Chris: Actually, on a recomendation, I have tried several times to email Pahiness (Dean Hung).... I have not gotten a reply, so I can figure one of a couple things... 1. I have the wrong address and my emails went into cyberspace. 2. He is too busy, and hasn't had the time to respond, or 3. he doesn't take my requests serious..... anyhow, I will keep on my mission to find this plant...
thanks
d

Where are you located? I'll tell him to contact you. I'm supposed to go to his greenhouse next Saturday. I know that his website doesn't get much attention from him, and perhaps that's the problem

thanks
d
that doesn't sound like Dean, might have the wrong address or maybe he's checking around before getting back to you.

Chris:
per your request to give more info on the top right corner.... i did put my location ("richmond, VA)......
If you are going to see him, then yes by all means let him know...
that's why I said i may have had the wrong address as my number 1 answer...
if you are there....take a look see and let me know what sizes he has and prices..... thanks
d

Hi all,

It's true I've been quite busy...

Re mastersianum: these are very difficult to find at BS, and at the moment, I don't have any. All I have right now are some seedlings from flask, which will be many years from blooming, no doubt.

But if anyone is interested, I can add you to a "wishlist" for this species, and I'll contact you if I come across any.

Regards,

DYH

Hi all,

It's true I've been quite busy...

Re mastersianum: these are very difficult to find at BS, and at the moment, I don't have any. All I have right now are some seedlings from flask, which will be many years from blooming, no doubt.

But if anyone is interested, I can add you to a "wishlist" for this species, and I'll contact you if I come across any.

Regards,

DYH

Thank you for responding, and Thanks Chris for your help.... Obvious it is seemingly hard for me to find these plants.... I know someone has some out there somewhere.... and I'll keep on my mission to find blooming size or close to.. I have tried seedlings and found them very frustrating, as I keep them for a year or two then they fade...... This is why I'm trying to find plants a little older and more established..
:(

I ordered a mastersianum from Orchids Limited last fall and though they were out of them they said they weren't overly hard to find. I'd also try them! At least to get them looking for all of us!

They are slow and they are not hardy, which is probably why few places carry them. The 2 I have now have not increased much in size in the 2 years or more I have owned them. A mature mastersianum is easy enough to bloom...but keeping it alive is a different story. Years ago I got a nice blooming size one from Koopowitz, back when Paphanatics came to the GNYOS shows. It lasted a few years, bloomed beautifully, and of course, kicked the bucket.

Paph mastersianum is not what one would call an easy to grow Paph. It really does not seem to need anything different from the typical Paph callosum or Maudiae type, BUT, it grows slowly and will not tolerate mistakes. My biggest problem is not staying on top of repotting. If the mix goes south, even a little, roots will die and the plant will languish. I have never been able to get my mastersianum to stay above a one or two growth plant. Unless your culture is perfect, they will not form clumps, so mature plants almost never become big enough to divide.

Grow mastersianum as one would Paph Maudiae, but try a few tricks;
- keep them a bit wetter, do not allow them to dry out between waterings.
- keep them a bit warmer, Phal temp range, rather than intermediate or cool.
- repot every year, before the mix has broken down.
These differences are not extremely different from the way Maudiae grows, so don't grow them as wet as you would a Phrag, just a subtle tweak up from what Maudiae types do well at. If a callosum or Maudiae would not like the conditions, then mastersianum will definitely not like the conditions.

Seedlings are available pretty frequently, every couple years somebody is able to produce a batch of them. Because of difficulty maintaining them long term, mature plants are rarely available.

I had 2 beautiful plants of mastersianum from OZ many years ago. Grew very well but like Leo said, very senstive to poor pot conditions. I had some tough decisions to make at the time and one was to repot or to not. I chose the latter and paid the price on many plants. One clue to good health is the minor metals, zinic and manganese, they need to be higher then what comes in most fertilizers

Latest posts

Back