• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WANTED: paph mastersianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well.... most of the thoughts folks have are on board... I feel I have killed my fair share of them, to the point where one might give up... The plant I had awarded, was a number of years ago, when if I remember correctly, they were pretty abundant, and "larger" plants were pretty readily available. I too agree that culture, particularily the repotting is very important, but it is so much harder trying to keep small seedlings on to the point where they are blooming size. One always has a better chance with larger plants, especially if they are coming in from abroad, where they have been stressed already before we even get them.
The mistake I made with my awarded plant (p mastersianum "Ernest Sombach am/aos)
was I tried to divide it after it was awarded, to make sure I would always have a piece of it.... this was a three growth plant, and as I remember, it pretty much broke apart while repotting, so was an easy decision to divide...
both pieces were very slow to catch on again after repotting and slowly went downhill.
I think the obscurity of the plant these days is because they are not too easy to grow, being a slower grower, so most growers/retailers don't mess with them.
I think it is a misunderstood plant that has a lot of potential, and would like to use it in my breeding.. Next generation mastersianun plants are much more grower friendly, and will turn into specimen plants, so I feel there is a use for it... I will stay on my quest to find some..... Someone has a few sitting around waiting for a sucker like me....

They are warm growers and likes high humidity. They grow well if the medium has moss growing in it. Water quality is very important to this species.

Paphman910

Well.......
One always has a better chance with larger plants, especially if they are coming in from abroad, where they have been stressed already before we even get them.
:confused: I don't know about anyone else but I've always had trouble with imported plants. How do you know if they've recovered from their previous stress? Now add a change of environment/growing conditions, even though you might be trying to provide them with the ideal conditions. IMO you'd be better off with seedlings.

Next generation mastersianun plants are much more grower friendly, and will turn into specimen plants, so I feel there is a use for it.......
I understand they're slow growing but, again, next generation seedlings are available now, why bother with older, probable/possibly jungle collected? It's been said here before, if one gets a flask, the survivors are going to be the ones that can do well & handle your growing conditions. Why not have both? Get the seedlings going & in the mean time keep looking for an adult plant.

Goldenrose:
I understand what you are saying, and have been working all angles in finding plants.... I have a couple hybrids now, with a few others in the works, but doesn't stop me from trying to find some "larger" older plants. I have purchased "seedlings" (different sized) from several sources over the past 3 years or so, but I think I only have one that has successfully lived to this point.... I may have another in amongst my many purchases that I have misplaced, but generally the younger plants have not done well for me... that is my quest for older plants....
As far as the hybrids, first generation or primary, They are not as readily available out there, as one would think, and I usually target the ones I see during my travels and scouring the internet...
I thought that slippertalk would be a good venue to reach out from...
thanks for your thoughts and concerns..
oh by the way, I noticed you are into dogs.... obedience only????

I have shot many an agility trials.....
kind of "old news" these days though..
not quite as much $$ in photographing them these days....
as far as knowing about agility........
used to date a border collie gal..... shouldn't have to say any more on that.

Mastersianum seedlings

Here's the handful of mastersianum seedlings I'm presently raising. The basket technique seems to be working good. They are all growing, but the three you see in baskets were about the same size as the largest one in the compot when I moved them a couple of months ago. The compot material is a CHC base, but I'm going to move more into sphag based baskets soon. The baskets are 4" for scale.

The release date from TM is 3/29/10 so they are about 1 year out of flask.

Here's the handful of mastersianum seedlings I'm presently raising. The basket technique seems to be working good. They are all growing, but the three you see in baskets were about the same size as the largest one in the compot when I moved them a couple of months ago. The compot material is a CHC base, but I'm going to move more into sphag based baskets soon. The baskets are 4" for scale.

The release date from TM is 3/29/10 so they are about 1 year out of flask.

Really beautiful seedling, Rick! They really grow well when you see sphagnum moss growing on the medium.

Paphman910

Latest posts

Back