Violascens, possibly in bud...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
Hello guys, long time no see. :)

I need some advice on what to do with my little Paph. violascens since it looks like it might be in low bud. It's still not certain that it's actually in bud, but on the off chance that it is, what should I do? Should I nip the theoretical bud as soon as I can, or should I let it open the flower first?

It's a single growth plant, and while it seems strong, there's no sign of any new growths. I've heard that the really difficult part when it comes to growing this species, is to keep them alive and growing after they've flowered.

While I have three violascens, this one's special as it is my first and I think I've had it for 3 years now (it was but a mere fledgeling when I got it). I would get rather mad at myself if it died because of me being greedy to see the flower.

Sooo, what would you do if you were in my shoes?

I'd cry, but I'd cut it off to encourage new growth. I absolutely hate doing it, but I'm usually pleased with the
new leads. I enjoy watching them grow...slowly. I wish
I had one.

I'd cry, but I'd cut it off to encourage new growth. I absolutely hate doing it, but I'm usually pleased with the
new leads. I enjoy watching them grow...slowly. I wish
I had one.
I'm leaning towards doing just that. It's my precious after all. Too bad you're living on the wrong continent, otherwise I would've given you one (I don't need three after all). :p

I keep looking for the new starts on my plants, too. I have noticed, though, that some plants start a new growth after flowering. That is true for my malipoense, delenatii, Magic Lantern, but also some Barbata species.
I think it is possible that You never see a flower on your violascens when you always snip off the buds to encourage the new growth.

Last edited:
I keep looking for the new starts on my plants, too. I have noticed, though, that some plants start a new growth after flowering. That is true for my malipoense, delenatii, Magic Lantern, but also some Barbata species.
I think it is possible that You never see a flower on your violascens when you always snip off the buds to encourage the new growth.

There's that too... The majority of the Barbata species I have that have flowered, usually start a new growth after they are done. Some are a bit more careless with getting new growths (the appletonianum/bullenianum crowd), and one has managed to get a new growth before budding (it was busy sulking for about a year after its first and only flowering so far).

We'll see what I'll do. It's such a healthy little plant after all, with a nice leafspan, AND YOU'RE TEMPTING ME! :poke:

i would let it flower. if the plant has a chance of dying anyway i would rather enjoy the bloom!

Some plants send shoots way after they flower. If it's healthy with good roots and a good number of leaves, and if it's not in dire need of repotting, then let it flower. Just don't let it hold it for too long.

If you can see a bud the plant has already expended half the resources to bring it flower. Most of the cells are there, much of the proteins and cellulose, minerals etc., it just needs to fill them with water. Once the bud has opened you have let the plant do 90% of the work and you really don't save much. So if you are going to cut it, the sooner the better.

Some plants send shoots way after they flower. If it's healthy with good roots and a good number of leaves, and if it's not in dire need of repotting, then let it flower. Just don't let it hold it for too long.
It's healthy as far as I can tell. The pot it's in is opaque so I can't see whether the roots are in good condition or not, but it's firmly rooted in the pot and it's showing no sign of yellowing leaves or anything else that might indicate it has problem with the roots, but you never know. Good number of leaves... It has five. Don't know if that's a good number or not. The leaf span is 27cm or 10½" (don't know if that's good or not either), and it was repotted in January this year, so no need for that yet.

I'm still no closer to making a decision. It's good that Paphs aren't the fastest flowers around. :rollhappy:

If you can see a bud the plant has already expended half the resources to bring it flower. Most of the cells are there, much of the proteins and cellulose, minerals etc., it just needs to fill them with water. Once the bud has opened you have let the plant do 90% of the work and you really don't save much. So if you are going to cut it, the sooner the better.
Nah, the bud's not even out of the crown yet. :) There's only a tell-tale swelling on the stem at the moment. It looks like it might be developing quite fast though. I guess the conditions are perfect for it right now with warm temperatures and decent humidity.

Latest posts

Back