Micranthum & Gloria Naugle Bloom Tips?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malipoense

Reaction score
I've had this micranthum and gloria naugle for a year now, but they don't seem to be doing anything except making several new growths and growing leaves. The micranthum had a sheath when I got it, but I guess I put it in a spot that was too warm, and it blasted. It has been happily making new growths since. I've heard both paphs need a cold dry winter to initiate buds. Are there any more ways to get both to make a sheath? I included some pictures.

Attachments

• 20231226_094956.jpg
    20231226_094956.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231226_094912.jpg
    20231226_094912.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231226_094923.jpg
    20231226_094923.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
At least for the micranthum: Over the course of a month, gradually reduce its water down to a trickle of maybe a tablespoon a week (but keep it humid). Put it in the coldest place you have during the day, then toss it in the fridge at night. The door of the fridge works best. It will probably take until next fall to push a sheath, but doing the fridge treatment for 3 months will set the clock. Gloria naugle may or may not be able to handle that hard a chill, depends on which parent dominated for cold tolerance.

At least for the micranthum: Over the course of a month, gradually reduce its water down to a trickle of maybe a tablespoon a week (but keep it humid). Put it in the coldest place you have during the day, then toss it in the fridge at night. The door of the fridge works best. It will probably take until next fall to push a sheath, but doing the fridge treatment for 3 months will set the clock. Gloria naugle may or may not be able to handle that hard a chill, depends on which parent dominated for cold tolerance.
Thank you, I will try that!

Plants need to be old enough first. Proper light levels help. Then you could fine tune watering, temperature, fertilizer, humidity, etc.
Bill, can't you tell they are old enough to be grandparents now? 🤣

If it is possible, you can also just put them by an unheated garage window during the wintertime and keep them on the dry/drier side...
Nice plants!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back