The Other Lowii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

DrLeslieEe

Collector of new, rare and albino paph species
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Next to Mango is this type lowii. I didn’t see the spike until quite late lol.

Pretty nice and dark. Unfortunately the other 3-4 buds blasted as they got too close to lights.

Plant is huge and needs lots of water. Seems dehydrated.

249D93DA-0EE6-4DAD-80E4-DAF29ED82AC8.jpeg6A44E0D7-10CC-4531-BD9D-BDBF9D2D50CA.jpeg

masaccio

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
"The plant is huge and needs lots of water. Seems dehydrated"

Is it in bark or a bark mix? I use straight sphagnum for many of my paphs since I'm growing in my home. That said, many people shy away from an all-sphagnum medium. You can always add a substantial amount of chopped sphagnum to a bark-based mix and it will be an improvement. I don't know anything about your culture, and I don't want to be the fool that rushes in. Just a thought.

Last edited:

DrLeslieEe

ST Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for trying to help.

It is not a great idea to pot any paph in pure spagnum as it leads to rot easily in cool conditions, particularly species. And this plant is in a 10 inch pot.

If it works for you, that's great. I do however use moss to top the pot sometimes to keep humidity in.

As for the dehydration, it was my mistake to not pay attention to this plant as much as I do the others. I just have to water more. It is in bark/charcoal/perlite mix.

masaccio

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate your position. Do you have cool conditions? I would agree. 10" pot? It must be a monster!

DrLeslieEe

ST Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate your position. Do you have cool conditions? I would agree. 10" pot? It must be a monster!
Yes it’s cool at 15-17C in winter in this growing area.

Indeed a monster with growths 4 feet wide tip to tip! And 5 growths lol

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Reaction score
The flower looks fine to me but it seems this time you had problems with the light when you took the photo, Leslie.

BrucherT

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Did you self Mango yet? Breed it to this one?

4 feet????? I’d like to see. That’s scary! No wonder it’s dehydrated...ten inches of roots have to support 4 feet and 5 growths??? You need up run an IV drip! Lordy.

DrLeslieEe

ST Supporter
Reaction score
Here the plant.

For reference, the lowii is surrounded by kolopakingiis (left), huge roths (right) and large phillipinenses (front):

48E9CA36-755A-4B23-9F51-7DFDE0262411.jpegB6B130B7-AC67-4FAD-A60D-AA15C118581C.jpeg

DrLeslieEe

ST Supporter
Reaction score
No, Mango won’t be cross with this one.

Instead, Mango will be selfed as well as sib on to another nice butter colored lowii aureum pollen (courtesy of John Marcotte).

Latest posts