The Other Lowii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next to Mango is this type lowii. I didn’t see the spike until quite late lol.

Pretty nice and dark. Unfortunately the other 3-4 buds blasted as they got too close to lights.

Plant is huge and needs lots of water. Seems dehydrated.

249D93DA-0EE6-4DAD-80E4-DAF29ED82AC8.jpeg6A44E0D7-10CC-4531-BD9D-BDBF9D2D50CA.jpeg

"The plant is huge and needs lots of water. Seems dehydrated"

Is it in bark or a bark mix? I use straight sphagnum for many of my paphs since I'm growing in my home. That said, many people shy away from an all-sphagnum medium. You can always add a substantial amount of chopped sphagnum to a bark-based mix and it will be an improvement. I don't know anything about your culture, and I don't want to be the fool that rushes in. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Thanks for trying to help.

It is not a great idea to pot any paph in pure spagnum as it leads to rot easily in cool conditions, particularly species. And this plant is in a 10 inch pot.

If it works for you, that's great. I do however use moss to top the pot sometimes to keep humidity in.

As for the dehydration, it was my mistake to not pay attention to this plant as much as I do the others. I just have to water more. It is in bark/charcoal/perlite mix.

I appreciate your position. Do you have cool conditions? I would agree. 10" pot? It must be a monster!

Did you self Mango yet? Breed it to this one?

4 feet????? I’d like to see. That’s scary! No wonder it’s dehydrated...ten inches of roots have to support 4 feet and 5 growths??? You need up run an IV drip! Lordy.

Latest posts

Back