Spot On

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I didn't know that you could so easily "ignore" someone in this forum..! That's a great feature, now employed by me. I'm happy to stay, now that I don't need to read posts from someone making continual political comments.

Glad you are staying! Technically it's easy to ignore, but I think the urge to bash overwhelms people's higher instincts ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just find this sad. This is an orchid forum not a political one. Losing a valued member hurts and anyone laughing should reconsider what is important.

I just find this sad. This is an orchid forum not a political one. Losing a valued member hurts and anyone laughing should reconsider what is important.

I see this as a failure of the moderating, to be honest. Political campaigns should not be intruding in this arena. As I said before, I came to this forum because of my love of orchids. Its only somewhat ok that I can ignore the fellow who is happy that a supporter of white supremacy is heading into the White House, and wants to shout it out with every posting he makes. A healthy forum requires consideration of others. Clark's comments in this thread are simply those of a bully. That should not be permitted. Am I overly sensitive? Maybe, but my interest is in orchids, not in learning again and again that someone here wants Trump to reign forever. So this just isn't working for me. Those responsible for the forum need to either ensure such comments are not permitted, or else see the members drop away, as they have done. The Ignore function is not really sufficient.

Wow! I didn't know that you could so easily "ignore" someone in this forum..! That's a great feature, now employed by me. I'm happy to stay, now that I don't need to read posts from someone making continual political comments.

I'm very glad you are staying. Yes, the ignore function is useful. If I didn't have to read some people's posts here I'd be using it pretty liberally these days myself. :rolleyes:

As I've said before this forum was built around the fact that other forums censored their members and we try very hard not to. That said, I'm weary of the insults. They are also against the rules, and people have been warned numerous times so...

Thanks, Heather. I've been away since before this thread started.

I'm glad you re-stated that this forum is not censored, except in extreme situations.

I don't mind talking politics, but I like open respectful conversation. It is hard to avoid politics as it controls much of our lives, no matter where we live in the world. It certainly has a lot to do with what happens to our orchids.

Thank you Achamore, for staying. You are a valuable member and have lovely plants!

Yes Don, please tone down your Plato 340 BC I find it glaringly annoying to look at if you do stay. Clearly not a pretty Phrag.

First of all, Happy Holidays! :)

Thank you Heather for stating that this forum is not being censored. But there is a difference between censorship and moderation. The latter is necessary in online communities. The anonymity of the internet lets some people behave like jerks in a way they can't in real life. On the top left of this site it says "forum for discussion". Inflammatory posts like those of Clark do not serve any discussion, they are only supposed to annoy and upset other posters. That is just "trolling", and in any decent forum that is bannable. That man child should have been banned sooner.

First of all, Happy Holidays! :)

Thank you Heather for stating that this forum is not being censored. But there is a difference between censorship and moderation. The latter is necessary in online communities. The anonymity of the internet lets some people behave like jerks in a way they can't in real life. On the top left of this site it says "forum for discussion". Inflammatory posts like those of Clark do not serve any discussion, they are only supposed to annoy and upset other posters. That is just "trolling", and in any decent forum that is bannable. That man child should have been banned sooner.

Hamlet, I have to agree with you. If the forum rules are not being adhered to by someone, then that person should not be permitted in the forum. Clark has made it clear where his interests lie, and his posts amount now to bullying. That's why the Ignore function is not enough. If you are the target for a bully, simply seeing their name beside a blanked post is enough to make me wish to stop coming to this forum. If there is not civil discussion, then I can't stay around. As I said, I'm here for the orchids. I didn't come to the forum to be bullied.

Not everyone agrees with everybody we're all different and have differing likes and dislikes. to my mind people have been trying to 'do away' with and not to be ruled by professional politicians who care only for their positions in the 'Class world'. lets be tolerant and laid back on this forum and don't take everything to heart. I for one will never mention politics again ----- but only on orchid forums!!!

Ed

Latest posts

Back