Species Versus Hybrids?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm, weren't we all talking about if we like species or hybrids orchids more, haha.

As to the abortion topic, althought I don't agree with abortion, most of the time (some situations like mom's health is in danger). I also feel it is completely out-of-line for someone to think they can tell someone else what they can do with their body!

Humanity has a long way to go but we have come a long way too. I still have hope but only time will tell.

This is really not an avenue worth pursuing..........but there isn't a carnivorous species in existence that doesn't also practice cannibalism at times. And in many cases, that includes infanticide, a normal response in fact with many species when a new male appears or takes over (and infantophagy? Happens then too....). Since animals aren't capable of abortion, birth/hatching must proceed first. So, yes, humans, in addition to occasionally practicing cannibalism, have practiced infanticide (for much the same reasons as other animals) and abortion. The abortion issue is one that cannot be argued in terms of right and wrong- Absolutely no one is in favor of abortion. But there is only one person in charge of his/her body, and only one person who has to live his/her life. For whatever reasons there are, sometimes abortion appears as the less evil alternative. To me, right or wrong isn't a part of the equation. I grew up in the years before abortion was legal in the US. Believe me..the "Pro-life" people would lead you to believe that making abortion illegal would "save unborn lives". But I know from the world I have seen that no unborn lives were saved when abortion was illegal and women still wanted it. They had abortions anyway. The rich traveled abroad. The rest...well, every week brought articles about the women who died having illegal abortions. Every week. So, not only were the unborn dying, but their mothers were too. To me, legal abortion is more "pro-life" than the alternative.

I'm making the assumption that we won't be around in 100 million years. But if we will be, Hats off!

In a hundred million years the crocodiles will be wearing the hats and wishing they could build a river complex where the endangered Homo sapiens preserve is. But low and behold they are required to keep all species from going extinct. So no hats off for humans. :)

Why this talk about crocodiles? They ain't that impressive. If we talk about something so perfect as nature intended it to be, so it has been left largely unchanged for 420 million years, look at sharks. Crocs are a YOUNG genera compared to them, "only" 55 million years under their belts. :wink:

Back on topic though. For some reason, my collection mostly consists of species, some primary hybrids, and two complex/near primary hybrids. I don't know why this happened, only that it did.

When it comes to orchids, the most important thing to me is the shape, colour is secondary (but still very important). I can discard an orchid due to the shape, despite it having a gorgeous colour (like all cattleyas, can't stand them and think they're just too much with their ruffles and things).

What I consider attractive, is definitely not what everybody else might consider attractive. The reason I really don't like complex Paph hybrids (bulldogs) is because of the shape - I don't like round Paphs! To me, Paphs are supposed to be elegant, and simple, stylistically pure, and these complex Paphs, aren't. Same with the toilette dittos, they're, in my opinion, unbalanced, disproportionate, and just not appealing shape-wise (but they can have gorgeous colours like armeniacum and micranthum do), because this is not how a Paph's supposed to look like according to my brain.

I really don't know if I like species better than hybrids (if they fulfill my demands of shape), my collection just sort of happens to consists mostly of species, 'cause they're easier to get a hold of...

Interesting comments on shape. Anyone know why different paphs have different shape pouches? I love the parvisepalum and brachypetalum subgenara but the maudiae type paphs and sigmatopetalum/Barbara groups aren't my favorite. I don't particularly care for orchids with green on the flowers, especially with the green and white stripes on the dorsal. I don't know why I don't care for them, they kind of remind me of an inmate in a prison or something.

Interesting comments on shape. Anyone know why different paphs have different shape pouches? I love the parvisepalum and brachypetalum subgenara but the maudiae type paphs and sigmatopetalum/Barbara groups aren't my favorite. I don't particularly care for orchids with green on the flowers, especially with the green and white stripes on the dorsal. I don't know why I don't care for them, they kind of remind me of an inmate in a prison or something.
I've no idea, but it probably has something to do with what type of insects they're trying to attract, and what the environment looks like. Adaptation in other words.

It IS interesting regarding the shape, isn't it? I must say that parvisepalum is much better looking than brachypetalum, and which one is more round? I think it's funny that what I find appealing in a Paph, you don't, since my favourites are the sigmatopetalum. :D

I know about the colours, but for me it's the brachys, because they make me think of dead bodies. Toilets I can stand, but not corpses... o_O

Oh, and about the green colour. Normally I don't like green on my chids (no Phal with any green hint on the flowers will stay in my apartment), but on Paphs it's okay and sometimes even gorgeous.

I've no idea, but it probably has something to do with what type of insects they're trying to attract, and what the environment looks like. Adaptation in other words.

It IS interesting regarding the shape, isn't it? I must say that parvisepalum is much better looking than brachypetalum, and which one is more round? I think it's funny that what I find appealing in a Paph, you don't, since my favourites are the sigmatopetalum. :D

I know about the colours, but for me it's the brachys, because they make me think of dead bodies. Toilets I can stand, but not corpses... o_O

Oh, and about the green colour. Normally I don't like green on my chids (no Phal with any green hint on the flowers will stay in my apartment), but on Paphs it's okay and sometimes even gorgeous.

That is so hilarious!!! I would have never in a million years made a connection between brachys and dead bodies! Isn't it funny how we all see something different?

Back