Species Versus Hybrids?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carkin

Reaction score
Are you a species person or a hybrid person? And why?

Sorry!!! I put my last two posts in the wrong place...I just realized my mistakes, this is supposed to be for photos!!! I hope that it can be moved!

Last edited:
I'm both. I love the idea of growing species. I'm doing my part to help preserve species. But there are so many beautiful hybrids to choose from too. And sometimes the hybrids are easier to grow than pure species. Bottom line is that I grow what I like.

i love species and had been only a species grower
growing some hybrids too now as they bloom more readily in my house and are generally easier to grow and i want blooms!

I'm both too, I love species primary and complex paphs beauty is everywhere in nature and paph !

I love them both too. I find it interesting though that some people really seem to commit to species.

The species that I am loving right now is malipoense. But I seriously doubt my ability to grow one so I have got two crosses. Mem. Larry Heuer (malipoense x emersonii) and malipoense x Amagumo. I hope that they have a lot of the maliposene look.

Thank you for your replies...very interesting!!!

Just that I prefer nature made than man made. There is something "raw" and "primal" about species.

I am mostly into species too. I like some hybrids, but most of the hybrids do not seem attractive enough to my eyes, unless they keep characteristics of their species parents.

I concur with the opinions of the last three posters for the same reasons

also, there are only so many species in any genera.. if you wanted to collect all of a particular genera there's a mostly definite list (within general reason). with hybrids, they are endless and you couldn't collect them all (nor have space for them)

a good friend not on the forum used to collect many, then his wife badgered him until he threw everything out (years ago). when she changed her mind and he got back into orchids, he decided to just stick with fragrant orchids

I have mostly species, 1 hybrid. As others have said, I like them "nature made not man made". Species are like you would find in the wild and I love to plant native and species perrenials in my yard. There are some neat hybrids though, like P. Ching Hua Dancer.

Both.
Looking at pics- many species.
Growing- whatever is easier.

When plants are outside, all is good.
Winter, not so good.

I love species because I feel like I am owning something naturally magical :)
I wouldn't turn down a hybrid if its something I like though.

I have more hybrids than species. Species intrigue me, though, because they are "real" having been around so long. However, I like the variety, shape and colors available in hybrids, especially primary hybrids.

I love species. However, I mostly have hybrid paphs. Of course it's easy to have some nice hybrids when you live an hour from OL and Deerwood (Ross-paphreek). I'm getting into old hybrids. I like the history before them!

Back