Sophronitis coccinea 4 N

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought a few months ago. The flowers grow larger every day! Yesterday the largest one was 5cm wide. Today 5,5 cm.

Sophronitiscoccinea_web_modifi-1.jpg

I've always liked that additional pleat to the petals that 4ns have. Koch says he has 4ns that do not have the pleat. Fordyce's do. I think becasue Fordyce got his from a certain man in Japan (whose name I forget), so they are from a common genetic pool. Koch may have converted his own coccineas to 4n, I don't know. I probably shouldn't say because its really all surmise. Anyone with better info? Nevertheless I love that coccineas continue to expand over time. Gives you something to look forward to. *G*

Very Nice!! A lot of the 4ns floating around at the moment I think are hybrids with brevipedunculatum mainly because some of the breeders didn't know what they were looking at. This one looks like the real deal.

Thanks everybody. I just hope that I will be able to grow it for a long time. It is from a Japanese strain that is supposed to be easier to grow than 2 Ns.... But at this time of year it is easy to find a well lit cool spot in my growing room.

I love it very much. The color is even better when we see the real thing. Unfortunately, I find it difficult to take very good pics of such intense red flowers.

WOW!!! While 4n's are usually larger and easier to grow, making sometimes uncommon species more popular, I tend to try to avoid them, as I am always buying 'chids with future breeding in mind, and that extra pair of chromosomes just doesn't work for most breeding, unless of course other 4n's are used.

Back