So this is where the cool kids hang out...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ALToronto

I recognize quite a few names from several other orchid forums that I also frequent - so hello again!

I've just graduated to paphs, from phals, catts and oncidiums. What brought me to paphs was a search for alkaline environment growing plants - limestone lithophytes. I have two passions - orchids and the one that pays for them. The latter is a mineral composite material that I've developed and that I make into custom architectural elements. This composite material has a much lower pH than concrete - 9 vs. over 12 - but it's still too high for most orchids. But at 9 (and getting lower, as I've made it my goal to do so), I think that some paphs will survive on it and in it.

I'm trying to make living walls that are self-sustaining and require minimal maintenance by using embedded sisal or hemp fibres to deliver water to plants that are mounted or planted at various locations on the wall. So I now have six little paph seedlings (all from Zephyrus Orchids in Hamilton, ON) that are about to embark on a new lifestyle. They are:

Micranthum
Taiwan x Sanderianum
Supardii x Philippinense
Hung Sheng Leopard x Stonei ( x2)
Leucochilum x Florida Red

And a delenatii which will be left behind to continue living in a more conventional way.

I also have a Doritis pulcherrima - any thoughts on letting it join the paphs?

Right now I'm just trying to absorb as much culture information as I can, and trying to figure out how to design my prototype 'rock' wall. Stay tuned for progress updates.

I would love to see pictures!! Paph can like a little more light then phals. However, I do grow my 2 phals with my paphs without any problems. If your growing on a living wall, you would probably want to keep the wall wet all the time.

I suggest reading the info posted around the board on k-lite fertizilier. Also, there is really good article here. http://www.firstrays.com/PDF/What_Do_Orchids_Eat.pdf

Thanks for the link, SlipperKing! I've seen many designs like the one on the french forum - these are not commercially viable as they require excessive maintenance, not to mention frequent fungicide application. My aim to create something that will not be prone to fungal infestations and will have the plants grow in conditions as close as possible to their natural rock cliff environments.

Welcome to Slippertalk, Al -- your project sounds interesting. Keep us updated, please.

Regarding the Doritis (now a Phal), some growers I know say they need more light than most Phals.

Latest posts

Back