So sad...so very sad...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
sad&ugly.jpg

Is the cross info. even necessary? ;) Let's just say there are winners with breeding and some, well, non-winners. When the bud formed I had never seen such a dark color. I've seen many vinis and I was hopeful this would be nice.. It still looks almost black when it's not backlit. But, it's got lots of problems that I don't think love from Momma can fix. My husband loves it. But then again he always falls for the one-eyed, three-legged dogs too.:rollhappy:

sad&ugly.jpg

Is the cross info. even necessary? ;) Let's just say there are winners with breeding and some, well, non-winners. When the bud formed I had never seen such a dark color. I've seen many vinis and I was hopeful this would be nice.. It still looks almost black when it's not backlit. But, it's got lots of problems that I don't think love from Momma can fix. My husband loves it. But then again he always falls for the one-eyed, three-legged dogs too.:rollhappy:

Let bloom again next time Candace. It may get better.

Ramon:)

This reminds me of the phal that got crown rot last weekend. I hadn't noticed it and when I realized it was done, I tossed it out in the backyard (I have a lot of moss growing there and am always hopeful something will root and live - ha!) all the leaves fell off.

I think it's done, Candace. RIP.

Roy, you'd be getting a package in the mail if you lived in the U.S. my friend. The cross is Starling Flight x Incantation. I bought it at the Paph House closing sale so I'm not out much. There is another small bud on it. So I may get another flower out of this blooming. Lucky me!

I keep staring at it's color...amazing, if only it were on an actually visibly appealing plant. Kind of different that the staminode is all creamy/white. Of course the contorted staminode detracts a little!

I'm sorry but I'm inexperienced and I'm not sure what's wrong with it. I'd love to be informed how to judge if the bloom is bad. Please let me know what is wrong with this ultra dark paph?

Roy, interesting. I assumed Paph House had bred it because they did a lot of their own breeding. I would be open to extra-terrestrials being involved with this one.

Phyrex, I can give you a few of the negatives. The staminode is very twisted (white thing in the center). And it even has a extra "bit" jutting out from a pollinia, the photo doesn't show. The petals have a couple sunken bumps on them that are brown and dead looking. And the pouch has several large bumps or pimples on it as well. It may open a little further, but the dorsal (top petal) is pinched looking and the flower is a bit cupped.

What happens eventually, after seeing so many plants in bloom, is that your eye is immediately drawn to imperfections.

Yes, is sad it isnt perfect, but for the colour alone one should find a little spot for it.

Candace,
Is it your second blooming, or just the plant?? If it is your 2nd, & decide you don't want it, I'll take it!! I have a weakness for things that have a face only Dad would love!!! :)

Tom

It's the plants second blooming, but only the first for me. If you cover shipping, it's yours Tom. PM me your info. if you want it. Oh, and you absolutely cannot breed with it!:poke: I don't grow any vinis and this one just sort of hopped into my box at the sale. Maybe it will be gorgeous on its third blooming, but I don't have the bench space to mess around.

with that color i'm sure if it were placed on a raffle table someone without an experienced eye would love to have it

Yes you're right, and I'm being overly dramatic for humor sake. Usually I donate many of my divisions and cull plants to my society auction fundraiser. But they've postponed it this year. Sometimes if I get deperate for space I'll put some up on ebay.

Tom will be giving it a good home and when he gets an AM on it he can name it 'Ironic'.

Latest posts

Back