Shopaholics Anonymous

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamD

Catasetinae Crazed
Reaction score
Ok, I've checked myself in, admitted I have a problem. I'm a chronic compulsive shopper of plants. Hours I spend obsessing, lurking on vendor sites, combing fine details and anxiously awaiting the day I click on and ! Alas! An update! An email or new listing on eBay! Just to sit back, put it in the memory bank, and peruse another site. Weighing options, fantasizing about new plants, packages in the mail, paypal transactions, exchanging kind words with vendors, rationalizing, trading, selling new for old, neglecting "less desirables" until they are in poor enough shape to justify throwing them out to make precious space for that new exciting cross...

Tell me I'm not alone here. It's been worse, it's been better. But today, or rather, over the past few weeks, I've come to a realization. An epiphany. If I spent half that obsession time and energy on caring for the plants I already have... Spending money on better suiting my conditions to tailor to my plants' needs and wants... How much better of a grower could I be? And in turn would it not satisfy me infinitely more than looking, browsing, putting plants in shopping carts, watch lists, with no intent on ever pressing that commitment button.

I have made a vow to myself. No new plants for 8 months. That puts me at my birthday next year. In that time, I will spend my time, energy, and focus on making myself a better grower. Improving conditions. And finding ways to better fill my time other than obsessing!

My name is Adam, and I'm an addict

I had similar aspiration of orchid abstinence but then I saw SlipperFan's Neofinetia thread... If I weren't leaving the country next week for a month in South Africa I would be on Ebay right now... Ok. I will go have a look anyway. How can window shopping hurt?

Eight months starting today???? O.k., I'm counting and you have to be
honest. If you slip, there's rehab at my house one day a month wherein
we swear and then backslide.

I promise to be nothing but honest. I can admit to slips.

In the past 3 months I've bought 10 roths, albeit 6 were very reasonably priced seedlings of great parentage thanks to Justin.

And while window shopping doesn't hurt, and will continue, it takes time away from life in action. What I'm trying to do is free my mind from the obsession to buy.

I am a man of modest means and limited space. It's time to start living within those confines. And while I've never overstepped those boundaries, I've been to the edge. I can hardly water my plants without occasionally knocking a few over. It's madness

Great decision, about the time...
I started with orchids in 2010 and went through similar stages too. After long period of buying , rescue-ing and hoarding anything I could find and scattering them all around the house I realized that it is better to create confined spaces with controlled environment and limit myself to those spaces.
Now my buying got more selective, care quality is much better, plants response is unbelievable, I get so much more blooms...
I don't do rescues anymore, if plant is sulking - it hits the garbage, because the space is too precious to keep ungreatful plants.
I also realized that it is better to buy whole flask instead of small seedlings, to make sure you don't get stuck with runts.
The only thing is - I could never keep promise of not buying more plants for n-period of months....
Good luck with that.

hmmmmmmmm. . .I recognize the symptoms in myself. I may join you-how about trades? Are trades OK? :)

Always good to focus on growing a smaller number of plants really well than keeping a collection that is too large to manage.

I agree with Orchideya...flasks are a great way to know you're getting the best of a batch (but then again your numbers will go up lol). I also agree with putting sulking plants in the "dustbin" if they don't turn around after 6-12 months.

Honing your collection to plants you want is a good thing :) I'm waiting delivery on two orders, after that I'll commit to only buying Christmas, ST auction and birthday plants.

My limit is my pocket and space. But usually I find the space needed. But money not!

Wishing you good luck!

Good luck with the willpower exercise. After the trip to Cloud's Orchids this past Saturday, I've also promised myself that I won't buy any more orchids until the seedlings I have are fully grown, and I can accommodate all of them. I'll see how long that lasts - I've been eyeing wall spaces.

Okay, but there's no sanctions against buying plants for friends and fellow forum acquaintances is there? Because if you want to shop, I'm in the market for parvies and besseae hybrids. Particularly since all attempts, thus far, to acquire a Phrag. Fritz Schomburg have proven futile and/or ill fated. Anybody? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Man it got quiet in here.

Latest posts

Back