Best apps/methods for inventorying/tracking collection

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m sure this question has been asked before, but I didn’t find information when searching the forum. What software or apps are being used by hobbyists with small collections? I’ve created a spreadsheet this year as my new collection is bumping 300 plants, but curious if there’s something better out there. Thanks!

I use an Excel spreadsheet with separate tabs by genus. Works for my purpose. If I was breeding orchids, I'd probably fold them into my Access database I designed years back for my backyard plant breeding hobby (lilies, daylilies, occasional garden perennial taxa).

Similarly, I use a Google sheets so I can access it on my phone for quick updates or on a laptop for bigger changes.
Make sure you log the date you got it and the source.

I still lean towards spreadsheet. I have OrchidWiz, which is no longer in production, and most of my plants are cataloged there. It gives a nice interface. However the flexibility of a good, old fashion spread sheet is more than enough. I started to miss my spreadsheet when I got away from it.

One of the challenges with software and apps is that you are stuck with their data fields and search terms. For example, I like to sort my collection based on repotting times. I can not run a report in OrchidWiz to do that, even though I can add repot dates to each plant. Spreadsheets may feel clunky but I like being able to set my own fields and search terms.

still using wiz the ability to add photos, catalog events for the plant, and import and export via excel make it quite flexible for me

Can't believe we don't have a kick starter project setup to rebuild a modern version of wiz. lots of awesome off the shelf toolkits to build good, performant software that scales... just no sugar daddy funding and good development support... its really not a difficult thing.

I use Google sheets so I have access anywhere. One tab for each genus. I’m addition to plant names and awards, i track the parentage if known, purchase location, purchase date, and vendor.

really great question... and I hope someone shares the golden answer....

I used OrchidWiz but also moved out after they discontinued support. Also all their internal databases were too protected for me to create any add-on missing functionality. I also tested a few androids 'hobby / collection' apps and even investigated setting up a webshop as personal inventory tool (without selling options) . Finally I decided to use excel.

Would be great if there is a tool that can be configured to our slipper needs and can be consulted from pc and from mobile and can store pictures as well.... *keep dreaming*

Similarly, I use a Google sheets so I can access it on my phone for quick updates or on a laptop for bigger changes.
Make sure you log the date you got it and the source.

Yes, I realized phone access was an important feature when I was at a nursery open house and needed to be able to access my list.

I still lean towards spreadsheet. I have OrchidWiz, which is no longer in production, and most of my plants are cataloged there. It gives a nice interface. However the flexibility of a good, old fashion spread sheet is more than enough. I started to miss my spreadsheet when I got away from it.

One of the challenges with software and apps is that you are stuck with their data fields and search terms. For example, I like to sort my collection based on repotting times. I can not run a report in OrchidWiz to do that, even though I can add repot dates to each plant. Spreadsheets may feel clunky but I like being able to set my own fields and search terms.

Thanks, Darlene. As a researcher, spreadsheets are my fallback because I like their flexibility and sorting/search features. I was just thinking I’d like to capture images of the plants periodically and was thinking that an app that allowed you to easily catalogue and organize photos would be great.

still using wiz the ability to add photos, catalog events for the plant, and import and export via excel make it quite flexible for me

Can't believe we don't have a kick starter project setup to rebuild a modern version of wiz. lots of awesome off the shelf toolkits to build good, performant software that scales... just no sugar daddy funding and good development support... its really not a difficult thing.

I agree, Rick. With as much money as people spend on orchids you’d think that the demand could support such an app. My dev skills aren’t great, but professionally I conduct research on apps and products to make their interfaces better. Maybe this is a retirement project:)

I agree, Rick. With as much money as people spend on orchids you’d think that the demand could support such an app. My dev skills aren’t great, but professionally I conduct research on apps and products to make their interfaces better. Maybe this is a retirement project:)
maybe there should be a kickstarter for this... just capturing a collection of individuals that could contribute their expertise... user testing / feedback would be an awesome aspect of that...

(i should have added that your thoughts are spot on including i had thought about this as retirement project... as an IT kind of person, this just seems like problem to solve that we could roll out incrementally with tons of flexibility using modern data management mechanisms designed to support multidimensional and extensible data models. node stores, mongodb, etc...)

Last edited:
maybe there should be a kickstarter for this... just capturing a collection of individuals that could contribute their expertise... user testing / feedback would be an awesome aspect of that...

(i should have added that your thoughts are spot on including i had thought about this as retirement project... as an IT kind of person, this just seems like problem to solve that we could roll out incrementally with tons of flexibility using modern data management mechanisms designed to support multidimensional and extensible data models. node stores, mongodb, etc...)

I would be game for the above:)

I use Google Spreadsheets because I'm accustomed to them, but if an open source app comes along I might give it a go. I research many other types of plants beyond orchids, most of them planted out in trials for food forests, and land recovery projects, so there's quite a few data I want to track. I don't try to keep it all on one page, but add pages to the sheet according to what I track. For me, the main point of a spreadsheet is the ease of sorting the information. Another important factor for my work is the ease of sharing the files. Most people can access Google Spreadsheets, so sharing information is straightforward.

In the industry I've used this app to collect pictures and trait notes. It's connected to a larger more sophisticated database that could probably be tailored to record spants in inventory (as opposed to seed inventory). However, this is probably waaaay more than what the average orchid hobbyist grower would need.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240129-175707_Google Play Store.jpg
    Screenshot_20240129-175707_Google Play Store.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back