• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

rugsuryanum or however you spell it

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Ed was not saying he knows everything. he was just simply clarifying all the possible situations as to why the plant looks wet in the pictures.
It is true that it might just have been watered rather than being watered every five minutes.
can't assume anything based on pictures.

Well, Ed was not saying he knows everything. he was just simply clarifying all the possible situations as to why the plant looks wet in the pictures.
It is true that it might just have been watered rather than being watered every five minutes.
can't assume anything based on pictures.

Thanks

It is illegal, then how can it be sold publicly on eBay?
Won't the seller get banned from eBay or busted by the "authority"?

No. Most likely to both. Unless the potential buyer claims that the purchase itself makes them also violate the law, which it does, but not in a way that ebay understands or cares about.

Just in passing, the seller has spent many months bringing
in plants from his native country. I'm sure he has the
proper paper work to go with the plants. He is an honorable man and is establishing a business here in the U.S. He also has an orchid business in his native country.

I don't think it would be too much to ask of this vendor to produce a copy of the proper paperwork with this plant species name on it? As you likely know any species that comes in under CITES Requires a detailed manifest of what is in the shipment. So again if this particular vendor is on the up and up it should be no problem for him to produce a copy of the said paperwork considering he has to have it in his possession as long as he has these plants.

I don't think that's too much to ask if they were legitimately imported properly but if paperwork can't be produced, well then there you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could jump on the bandwagon and say trump and hillary should get an army together to kill orchid enthusiests interested in this paph...?

I could jump on the bandwagon and say trump and hillary should get an army together to kill orchid enthusiests interested in this paph...?

Just some feedback Troy- You can obviously post whatever you would like. Just type and click. Some of us may find it amusing or beneficial. I may make a leap by saying perhaps not. I have wanted to comment back to you in other posts but it seemed inappropriate.

We are indeed trying to discuss a topic that is important to us as slipper growers. Most of us would like this plant. Some of us are even willing to take the chance to purchase it. Others would like to know the probability of problems if they did. Others really want proper documents and are waiting for that first chance to jump on it. Others want to know the breeding potential. Ect, ect ect

One thing is consistent, we all come here for a strongly opinionated and diverse discussion that can lead to further understanding the passion which we spend so much time and money. Thanks for participating. :clap:

Well said Chad, and I agree. Not sure it will penetrate, but at least you tried.

Troy- you have asked before... what you just did is defined as "trolling" and hence why you have been referred to as a troll in the past.

Onward and hopefully upward....
I don't see why the seller couldn't produce a CITES document and show it in good faith!? That seems reasonable. Has anyone reached out and asked?

Which united states laws do we obey or break...? Illegal.......immigrants.......orchids that is what I beleive, voicing my opinion is not trolling, neither is having my own thoughts and not jumping on the bandwagon with everybody else about various subjects

If you have no interest in buying why do you care if there is a CITES?..if you are interested in buying then perhaps asking the seller to show documents in a private email exchange would be a better way of approaching the situation....he has no obligation to show any of us his paperwork , especially to satisfy someone's curiosity

We should all care if there is CITES. The reality is that there are these things called laws and those laws are not there as trivial inconveniences they are there for reasons. When those laws are broken, harsher more broad stretching laws are put forth. When someone like this person imports plants without the proper paperwork he jeopardizes future legitimate shipments from law abiding citizens. If he was smart he would show that these are legitimately imported as that would command a higher price since they are legal.

I have seen this with my fish and coral importing. People break the rules and next thing you know harsher rules and less species are available.

Why are you so defensive on this ehanes? Do you have a problem with following the rules?

I have a problem with you automatically assuming he is breaking the law. There is no rule saying that he has to provide the CITES to anyone on ST...you are not the designated authority in this matter and neither is anyone on ST. This is between him and those who are allowed to enforce the law...not some vigilante on some power trip, brandishing a pretense of cynicism

Show me anywhere where rungsuriyanum is listed as a species that is legal to import. Sure there is no rule that says he needs to show anyone on ST but the fact of the matter is that he has shown that they are obviously wild collected (note moss, dirt and insect chewed leaves in his photographs) the fact that he says in a follow-up post of another species that he "does not have papers" and that he has been less than eager to show those of us who question the legality of these plants proof that they are indeed not smuggled.

I'm not the designated authority but the reality is that when smugglers smuggle large numbers of banned species it delays LEGITIMATE and LEGAL imports.

Its not a power trip and sure there is some cynicism there but that cynicism is based purely on the silence of the person in question. I'm more curious why you have made this your person vendetta to defend someone who multiple people are claiming is smuggling illegal species to the US. Is there something to gain or do you just think that wildlife laws are silly annoyances?

I think CITES is ineffective because it does nothing to stem the real culprit in species destruction , domestic distribution within the country of origin.. a conversation that has been beaten to death on ST.
And my feeling is that the ones who benefit from this are the ones who keep it quiet and sell through other means ( I am privy to some of the ways they do it, used to work in the orchid trade business, known people personally who got visits from the FBI (buyers), they usually get ratted out by some snitch)... they don't go on ST and announce it .. so if you want to use some Occam's razor , my bet is that Thien has found a legal route and doesn't give a crap about your inquiry. I find it kinda hilarious that his post is still up and his ebay offerings are still up , even after all your stranger danger rhetoric...but even if his plants are illegal..I really could care less (it's not going to change anything about indigenous destruction).....and given what I have seen as to how orchid species become legal for import/export...this is one way to get one step closer to legitimization

In this country we have every resource known to keep a plant alive no matter what culture is required all at the touch of a finger tip convenience and 1 day shipping, there should be no excuse not to get any species into production here. 3rd world countrys do not have that option or the education we have etc.. etc..

Latest posts

Back