Phalenopsis hygrochila stem browning

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkchknpk

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I wanted to ask if anyone knows why the stem is browning like that? The browning has been moving up the stem. I dont keep this plant very wet since its just sitting in an empty pot with a few large pieces of charcoal to support it. Could it be fusarium? Help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 68ac06ae-8b18-48a8-a627-8e7bea8cc527.jpeg
    68ac06ae-8b18-48a8-a627-8e7bea8cc527.jpeg
    327.6 KB · Views: 0
Hi guys,
I wanted to ask if anyone knows why the stem is browning like that? The browning has been moving up the stem. I dont keep this plant very wet since its just sitting in an empty pot with a few large pieces of charcoal to support it. Could it be fusarium? Help would be appreciated!
This picture is after i cut a portion of the stem off to show the inside

Most likely basal rot that started in the lower roots. Cut off the stem and make sure your cut is into clean, green tissue. Treat cut with cinnamon.
After cut ‘hardens’ in a few days, repot into fresh media. Within 4-6 weeks, new roots should appear. Then you can begin to think about watering normally.

Most likely basal rot that started in the lower roots. Cut off the stem and make sure your cut is into clean, green tissue. Treat cut with cinnamon.
After cut ‘hardens’ in a few days, repot into fresh media. Within 4-6 weeks, new roots should appear. Then you can begin to think about watering normally.
Would it be risky if it is left with no roots?

Well for every live root that can remain on the plant will aid tremendously in its recovery. One root, two roots or three can be enough to do the trick.
However if you go from 2 roots to 1, you have in effect lost 50% of the root system. Your odds of success become that much lower. From 2 roots to zero roots really drop the odds considerably. It does not become impossible and I am not an odds maker but I would hazard a guess with three roots your odds are great for recovery. Go to two roots and maybe your odds are still very good. One root, maybe less then 50-50. No roots and it becomes somewhat of a long shot!
How are you at betting on longshots?

Would it be risky if it is left with no roots?

Well for every live root that can remain on the plant will aid tremendously in its recovery. One root, two roots or three can be enough to do the trick.
However if you go from 2 roots to 1, you have in effect lost 50% of the root system. Your odds of success become that much lower. From 2 roots to zero roots really drop the odds considerably. It does not become impossible and I am not an odds maker but I would hazard a guess with three roots your odds are great for recovery. Go to two roots and maybe your odds are still very good. One root, maybe less then 50-50. No roots and it becomes somewhat of a long shot!
How are you at betting on longshots?
Hi! I think it’ll be safer to leave on at least one root. I just cut above the lowest root to see if the rot has went further up the stem. The stem looks green, but still has a bit of yellow discolouration in the centre. Should I cut further up or just leave it the slightly yellow part on?

Attachments

• IMG_9990.jpeg
    IMG_9990.jpeg
    967.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back