• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

rugsuryanum or however you spell it

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wonder what is being fought over in such discussions. The viability of the species in the wild? The legality of possessing it in a given country?

Practically speaking, it is inevitable that valuable wild collected plants will always be in strong demand regardless of what laws are in place. If you like to grow species orchids then you have wild collected plants in your collection somewhere, guaranteed. Whether they were legally collected and distributed is another matter.

In my wanderings here in Japan I've seen numerous wild collected Paphs for sale at shows and on the internet. That includes species that are already in production here. I talked to a vendor recently and he said that while propagated lines produce more controlled outcomes, people still like jungle collected stuff because of the excitement of not knowing what the flower will be like. That fuels part of the demand, plus of course wild collected plants are almost always far cheaper.

I could cite specific cases, but I'm not going to. Let's just say I have been to two large shows recently and I saw jungle collected Paphs at both.

Jab, we can google earth a province at an exact location with elevation anywhere in the world and get a live accurate weather report, somebody who wants to tailor their grow area or greenhouse to specific culture for a species is very easy

I'd be interested in seeing the 'paperwork'. If I had something like this for sale I would voluntarily post a picture of the paperwork with the plants for sale to show it was legitimate.

Demand = supply; so goes the rhino and rungsuryanum (perhaps) and other rare plants and animals. Don't buy 'endangered' species. Its that easy.

Somebody with the correct resources and knowledge of growing orchids is going to have to save this species at some point, and I don't think the third world country it came from is going to be it. 3rd world country = corrupt gov.t why it's third world in the first place.....that leads to no education etc... etc... you get it, so why bash somebody who is trying to propagate it Out of country of origion?

Somebody with the correct resources and knowledge of growing orchids is going to have to save this species at some point, and I don't think the third world country it came from is going to be it. 3rd world country = corrupt gov.t why it's third world in the first place.....that leads to no education etc... etc... you get it, so why bash somebody who is trying to propagate it Out of country of origion?

Did I miss the spot where it was mentioned that these were seed grown in vitro??

Achima is producing these "en mass" with that alone I would say that the species is safe from extinction through captive efforts, in the wild is something totally different though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must agree with you then marandiwine!! There are conservations that buy chunks of forest to prevent developing that take donations

Rungsuriyanum germinates relatively easy in flask. The problem is getting a legal source. You will just just run into CITES as an issue, but also local laws, say like the Lacey ACT in the USA.

That said, some countries like Australia are more relaxed about importing species like this as long as they are in flask and are allowed to be exported by a country of export (not necessarily origin). This has been my experience. I have had two countries export rungsuriyanum to me with it stated 'Paphiopedilum rungsuriyanum flask" or 'Paphiopedilum rungsuriyanum tissue culture" clearly stated on it, and Australia CITES has accepted it. They have copies of the docs.

I think some countries are well aware of the corruption in some countries of origin and links between smugglers and the political sphere. So they are willing to be a little flexible to get a breeding population going to save a species. God knows the smugglers are not stopping, and neither are the corrupt figures who are in bed with them.

Back