Proper time to stake?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjs2nd

Reaction score
So, I have done a lot of research on this but haven't found anything that explains it clearly. I know certain parts need to harden/strengthen but how long does this take. Some articles say wait for the flower to open some seem to imply you can stake earlier. Also, I could find any pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm no expert but, I stake my paphs as soon as the spike is tall enough and I use a little clip that I can set to just wrap around the stem but not clench it at all. It just supports the stem and bud(s). I move the clip up as the spike grows. Then I wait until the unfertlilized seedpod is developed and I move the clip right behind the bloom to boost it up and either leave the clip loose or put it on firm. This is how I stake my paphs. Hope you could understand what I meant.

For single flower Paphs I wait until the flower is half open then I stake. If you stake too early the flower will eventually fall down again while if you stake too late the flower will face unnaturally up and will hold its position.

For multi-florals I have to train the spike. Generally I first stake as the first flower is beginning to open. From there I stake as each bud is ready to open.

I usually use a twist-tie and a bamboo stick. I wrap thetwist-tie around the bamboo stake and then create a loose loop around the stem. Just enough to hold the spike upright while the flower develops. I do this as soon as the spike is five or six inches tall.

Great, thanks for all the help everyone. I was afraid to stake to early (I heard the bud can drop off if you stack to early). However, I stacked to late on one of my hybrids so the spike is curved a little.

Latest posts

Back