Cattleya Dowiana Update- Results of Poor Planning 2 Years Later

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.Green17

Reaction score
Hello All,

Wanted to post an update on my dowiana as well.

Here is a picture from a few years ago that shows what is first looked like, about 2.5 years ago (before the entire tank became an absolute mess) šŸ™ƒ
23215-8d3871c003d4c98dbddcca5cb8d68004.data.jpg

And here's what it looks like now šŸ˜‚

IMG_9541.jpegIMG_9543.jpgIMG_9549.jpeg

The roots have gone absolutely bananas, but it seems content so I hesitate (and haven't quite mustered up the energy) to repot it.

I also just noticed a sheath forming in the newest growth, so hopefully buds will form in it soon.- once it either blooms or busts then I will repot... or at least so I tell myself

Also in the second picture with the arrows- you can see just how adventurous the roots are.

Also I wanted to mention that the bottom of the tank is constantly filled with distilled water, all of the ends of the roots are completely submerged, constantly. I rarely water the actual net pot its in because of this. I will also point out that originally all of the roots where in the pot, so the roots that have dug their way into the rocks and water have constantly grown in those conditions, which is why, I believe, they are able to grow like that. I am thinking of when I repot it, moving it to a semi hydro set up. I know many people discuss winter dormancy, I honestly do not plan changing anything cultural with it, and just seeing how it does... what an interesting thing this is turning out to be haha. I definitely did not plan for any of this happening- just the result of poor... planning- but I do find it interesting and am interested in seeing how it continues to do.

p.s that is a different smaller cattleya in the front. and yes the dowiana's roots are completely taking it over. sigh. another thing to do...

Well dowiana is one of the warmer growing Cattleya species. I said warm growing, not hot growing. You may not need to give it much of a ā€œwinters restā€. Dormancy and winter rest are not the same thing. All that may be required is to cut back a little on watering frequency and total hours of light.
Cutting down of fertilizer is a must! If it is dormant or in a winters rest and not really growing much, if any, why fertilize?
You have been tight lipped about where you are in New York. If we knew, perhaps we could recommend joining an orchid club. Thatā€™s where you can learn about orchids and hear speakers about orchids.

This setup looks very nice. How do you set up lighting, and is that a small desktop fan? Based on your photos, it seems my dowiana might take like 4-5 years lol! I hope to master dowiana culture one day.

Heres an image of my lighting. its mars hydro 300 I believe, please ignore the tin foil šŸ˜‚ its so I'm not blinded when sitting the couch haha. and yes that is a small computer fan!
This setup looks very nice. How do you set up lighting, and is that a small desktop fan? Based on your photos, it seems my dowiana might take like 4-5 years lol! I hope to master dowiana culture one day.

Attachments

• IMG_9570.jpg
    IMG_9570.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Back