Phragmipedium kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
This plant is really becoming a brute (in a good way). It first bloomed last year with one growth having one flower. The plant is currently 22 inches tall and 24 inches across. This year there are two growths with flower spikes and this is the first of those to bloom. It's not totally open and in only 5 1/2 inches across. I hope to exceed 6 inches which was last year's flower span. The spike in bloom has one flower and two buds while the other spike has two buds. I suspect that they will flower successively rather than simultaneously but I'll record what happens either way.

Phragmipediumkovachiiplant03-16-2013_zps8af9e177.jpg
[/IMG]

Phragmipediumkovachiiflower03-16-2013_zps22c988a2.jpg
[/IMG]

congrats and great growing! Is the pollen going onto another Phrag?

Thank you.

The only other phrag that grows for me is andreettae, but I am not a fan of hybrids. If you would like some, please let me know.

Very nice! Any culture tips?

Thank you. I grow it in a clay pot with 50% supersphag and 50% perlite. I fertilize with urea-free fertilizer (the low K fertilizer caused the leaf tips to brown so I use the Michigan State type blends) at 125-150 ppm weekly. I keep it moist at all times. It is under a 100 watt LED plant light about 3 feet from the fixture. In the summer the daytime temps. are ~85 F and ~70F at night while the winter temps are about 10F cooler.

Thank you. I grow it in a clay pot with 50% supersphag and 50% perlite. I fertilize with urea-free fertilizer (the low K fertilizer caused the leaf tips to brown so I use the Michigan State type blends) at 125-150 ppm weekly. I keep it moist at all times. It is under a 100 watt LED plant light about 3 feet from the fixture. In the summer the daytime temps. are ~85 F and ~70F at night while the winter temps are about 10F cooler.

Very interesting mix, perlite and sphag are both acidic, aren't? However pk likes neutral pH, if I knew well. I agree with fertilizer cc, I also adjust solution at 120 ppm, no more.

I like it. I'm thinking about getting kovachii at some point, though I'm playing it safe and sticking to the hybrids for now. These guys are still expensive enough to make me cautious about purchasing.

I still remember how expensive my first kovachii hybrid was and how quickly it was devoured by my roommate's cat.

Latest posts

Back