Phragmipedium kovachii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you.

The only other phrag that grows for me is andreettae, but I am not a fan of hybrids. If you would like some, please let me know.

I will really interested in both as selfing of this kovachii and also a cross with andreettae!!!
If you can pollinate and then send me seed I will be extremely happy!!!!

Thank you.

The only other phrag that grows for me is andreettae, but I am not a fan of hybrids. If you would like some, please let me know.

Interesting for me....I just suffer with andreettae, however the others ( eg. pk, bessae) do well. What do you do with andreettae? Has is flowered yet?

Other I'd like to ask watching your beautiful flower, that some kovach has 2 yellow strips on throat, some has not....or is it only question of wieving angle?

I don't know about beautiful but certainly fascinating. Congratulations on very successful culture.

Chuck

Other I'd like to ask watching your beautiful flower, that some kovach has 2 yellow strips on throat, some has not....or is it only question of wieving angle?

I think that it is an individual characteristic that can be exaggerated with lighting. I take my images in natural light. Also, cooler temperatures may change things. I grow mine relatively warm and the color may darken in cooler temperatures.

Thank you. I grow it in a clay pot with 50% supersphag and 50% perlite. I fertilize with urea-free fertilizer (the low K fertilizer caused the leaf tips to brown so I use the Michigan State type blends) at 125-150 ppm weekly. I keep it moist at all times. It is under a 100 watt LED plant light about 3 feet from the fixture. In the summer the daytime temps. are ~85 F and ~70F at night while the winter temps are about 10F cooler.

JPMC:
I was wondering the source of your LED light. Did this kovachaii cross come to bud under this light? Is the LED light the equivalent of a 100 watt bulb? I'm very amazed at what you can grow under LED. Thanks, Junglejim

JPMC:
I was wondering the source of your LED light. Did this kovachaii cross come to bud under this light? Is the LED light the equivalent of a 100 watt bulb? I'm very amazed at what you can grow under LED. Thanks, Junglejim

Yes, it did. The one I use in in the PM I sent to you. Not sure if I can name a product in a public post.

Congratulations! a very well-grown plant!:clap: One question, do you know the pH of your water? Any other description is also welcome.:wink:

Congratulations! a very well-grown plant!:clap: One question, do you know the pH of your water? Any other description is also welcome.:wink:

Thank you.

I use RO water so I assume that the pH is neutral. I have also found that it needs repotting annually.

I will really interested in both as selfing of this kovachii and also a cross with andreettae!!!
If you can pollinate and then send me seed I will be extremely happy!!!!

In the last DC Paph Forum thread there is a photo of Pk x andreetae 4N from EYOF. the normal 2N cross was quite bad.

Simultaneous Flowers

I was hoping that at least for a time there would be more than one flower open at the same time. I'm happy that it happened. Interestingly, the second flower has a rounder form than the first. Even more interesting is that it occurred on the same plant under the same conditions knocking against the previously opened flower as it expanded.

Phragmipediumkovachiiplant2flowers03-24-2013_zps50aebe74.jpg
[/IMG]

Phragmipediumkovachiisecondflower03-24-2013_zpsbff8a536.jpg
[/IMG]

Latest posts

Back