Phragmipedium identification

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrag-Plus

Reaction score
Non-labelled or mislabelled plants Identification….

Many times I’ve seen pictures of those plants on this forum and it’s always lead to good discussion... It is a good exercise... But it is always difficult to identify Phragmipedium hybrids that way... Even if the flower look like a well know cross the real phylogeny could be different.

Primary hybrids are easier but as far as we are going in the complex ones, it is more difficult to get the right identification. With experience, we can recognize characters but there is always the unexpected to break the rules...

I would like to show you what I'm talking about, the range of the gene expression we can found in one cross and this from the same seedpod.

Here is Phragmipedium Jean Troalen (LesDirouilles x caricinum) from my own hybridization program.

Here, you can see the difference between the three plants, first flowering seedlings. Look at the size of the plants, scapes and flowers.... Can you believe they are little brothers?
JeanTroalen5.jpg

This picture show the caricinum influence with the down swept petals and larger dots in the pouch. 4%
JeanTroalen3-1.jpg

This one shows the influence of both parents with influence of the LesDirouilles in the shape and size.... 95% with small variations.
JeanTroalen5a.jpg

This was my unexpected one.... The plant is small caricinum size with the ovary and the pouch of caudatum... Big flower for that little plant...1% Weird!
JeanTroalen8.jpg

Let me know what you are thinking about....

Hoping than my English language is understandable...
Enjoy!

Jean-Pierre, this is a good reality check for all of us. I doubt that most people, including me, would've guessed that these 3 plants were siblings from the same seed capsule! What's easier to say in the case of un-labelled plants is what they are not. This example post of yours shows us that it can be much more difficult to say what is the correct name of a no-name plant.

Dear Jean-Pierre,
many thanks for the pictures. We have not so often the possibility to see the results of a cross in the variety. Normally we see only one picture and cannot imagine the variability of the cross.
It would be interesting to see some more of this cross.

Best greetings

Olaf

:clap:Very interesting! Now let's add to that name changes!:p Thanks for the post!

Interesting and enlightening. It's hard enough to "guess they hybrid" when it's a primary, but when it's into the 3rd and 4th (or more) generation, it's anyone's guess, as your photos illustrate.

Don't worry Jean, Eric's just a little off-beat sometimes, but it's entertaining as long as you realize he's just joking! :)

Thanks, I’m really don't worrying! I did read post from Eric since many months now and often laugh at his answers and kiddings... And think I did know how he is.... I was just using the same medicine too... Just kidding too...

Latest posts

Back