Phragmipedium besseae f. flava

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love these. Very nice shape. I have one that finally is growing 2 growths. Hopefully it reblooms with them. Been a year with no blooms.

Tom, how is the FV doing? Must be a big plant now.

I love these. Very nice shape. I have one that finally is growing 2 growths. Hopefully it reblooms with them. Been a year with no blooms.

Tom, how is the FV doing? Must be a big plant now.

Hi Leslie,
If you're talking about the original Phrag. besseae fma flavum 'Fox Valley Gold' HCC/AOS clone, it's not a strong grower so divisions are hard to come by. It's offspring are much more vigorous, but we do try to keep a couple pieces of the original FVG clone going for the historic value. We'll probably repot one or two into 10 x 20 trays in March to see if the vigor improves.

I’m going on a year with my seedling from Tom...it’s in LECA now and really seems to be going to town. This post gives me ambition! Great job! How do you grow?

BrutcherT, I am going mine in a bark based mix (small bark, charcoal, perlite, and a dash of promix). I am in Ohio where the summers are fairly mild. So most of my collection is outside for the summer and inside under lights when the place turns into a frozen tundra outside.

I am an import to Ohio from the south. Despite being here for a long time, I am still a bit dramatic about the winter weather.

BrutcherT, I am going mine in a bark based mix (small bark, charcoal, perlite, and a dash of promix). I am in Ohio where the summers are fairly mild. So most of my collection is outside for the summer and inside under lights when the place turns into a frozen tundra outside.

I am an import to Ohio from the south. Despite being here for a long time, I am still a bit dramatic about the winter weather.

hey, winter here IS dramatic! It’s insane! I would love to see your outdoor growing situation...I would like to put some of mine out this year.

Tom, thanks for the info on FV. Goes to show how plants are very delicate and need to be propagated to maintain the species. Luckily FV sired many babies, shared around the world! And that’s thanks to you!

hey, winter here IS dramatic! It’s insane! I would love to see your outdoor growing situation...I would like to put some of mine out this year.

This is an older picture, but it gives you an idea of how I am set up.

Hopefully the picture opens alright. It is a panoramic shot.

Attachments

• 20161120_160704-1.jpg
    20161120_160704-1.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 35

Latest posts

Back