Phragmipedium besseae f. flava

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Tom!

I have a few more lights and racks these days. But I try to keep the room neat(ish).
amazing set up & so many plants in flowers.
-how many carts & shelves are there ?
-could you tell me that your set up can house how many plants total?
-what are the dimensions of the carts as well as the plastic tubs?
I also have to use shelves but I notice you limit 2 shelves per cart, where as I use 4 shelves thus very hard to grow tall plants or even allow plants to flower in place .

Last edited:
I would really like to get a nice yellow flavum like the one pictured perhaps. Any chance you have any? Preferably an offspring if they are stronger growers.
We should have Phrag. besseae fma flavum 'Green Gold' (x self) seedlings of saleable size around the first of June. Here they are with 2-3 inch leaf spans, growing well in 4 x 4 inch square net-bottom compots.

Attachments

• Pbggxs.jpg
    Pbggxs.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Leslie - I'll let you and the other ST Phrag Lovers know when they're ready before listing them on the Fox Valley website. There aren't going to be many seedlings, so this may end up being an "ST Only" distribution.

Last edited:
amazing set up & so many plants in flowers.
-how many carts & shelves are there ?
-could you tell me that your set up can house how many plants total?
-what are the dimensions of the carts as well as the plastic tubs?
I also have to use shelves but I notice you limit 2 shelves per cart, where as I use 4 shelves thus very hard to grow tall plants or even allow plants to flower in place .

Thanks! I have 8 carts with lights. 6 are about 60 x 48 inches and 2 are slightly smaller ones. I only have 2 shelves per cart to accommodate taller plants and spikes. Also I have a few misting heads to maintain my seedlings. The misting works best with distance between them and the plants. In addition to what's pictured I have a small window setup in front of the south facing sliding doors.

The plastic tubs are about 24x17 inches. I use lighting egg crate and cut PVC to elevate the plants and create a reservoir. I have about 600 plants. Things got out of control when I took an interest in flasks and was not met with disaster. At least 2 of the carts are dedicated to seedlings.

Attachments

• 15777465913252635257965746221277.jpg
    15777465913252635257965746221277.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 24
I notice some hanging white tubes, what material are those? do you water inside the tube and let the moisture soaks thru? who is the vendor for that potting material?

Thanks! I have 8 carts with lights. 6 are about 60 x 48 inches and 2 are slightly smaller ones. I only have 2 shelves per cart to accommodate taller plants and spikes. Also I have a few misting heads to maintain my seedlings. The misting works best with distance between them and the plants. In addition to what's pictured I have a small window setup in front of the south facing sliding doors.

The plastic tubs are about 24x17 inches. I use lighting egg crate and cut PVC to elevate the plants and create a reservoir. I have about 600 plants. Things got out of control when I took an interest in flasks and was not met with disaster. At least 2 of the carts are dedicated to seedlings.

Leslie - I'll let you and the other ST Phrag Lovers know when they're ready before listing them on the Fox Valley website. There aren't going to be many seedlings, so this may end up being an "ST Only" distribution.

Tom, Please add me to that list. Thanks.

Those tubes are Kool logs . I started experimenting with for my mounted ones two years ago and I am happy with the results.
if you look at the gallery on their web site, they show a few paphs growing mounted. Very cool... (not that i would even try it ;-) )

if you look at the gallery on their web site, they show a few paphs growing mounted. Very cool... (not that i would even try it ;-) )
I perused the website to see these mounted slippers; it’s an intriguing technique but I note that they all appear to be single-growth bloomers; I’m skeptical. They can make me a believer by showing a time-lapse over 5 years. Also, am I missing how to water, how yo feed? And how is moss expected to last for any length of time? I grow Neofinetia in moss and even in indoor conditions I must remoss annually.

Good points. I’d like to see that Phrag in 5 years....

I perused the website to see these mounted slippers; it’s an intriguing technique but I note that they all appear to be single-growth bloomers; I’m skeptical. They can make me a believer by showing a time-lapse over 5 years. Also, am I missing how to water, how yo feed? And how is moss expected to last for any length of time? I grow Neofinetia in moss and even in indoor conditions I must remoss annually.

Latest posts

Back