Phrag Urgandiae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Achamore

Reaction score
Apologies for the quality of the photo, but this is such a massive plant I daren't try to remove it from the greenhouse.

One of the phrags I bought from Sue in Bristol last month. This is one of the old crosses, registered in 1896. It is lindleyanum x longifolium.

There are two spikes, each over 4 feet long. Put it this way, it is bigger than a large specimen of Sorcerer's Apprentice. The blooms last a long time. The older of the two shown here was fully out when I bought the plant a month ago. I've been really surprised at the longevity of the blooms.

There are two spikes, each over 4 feet long. Put it this way, it is bigger than a large specimen of Sorcerer's Apprentice. The blooms last a long time. The older of the two shown here was fully out when I bought the plant a month ago. I've been really surprised at the longevity of the blooms.

You may also be surprised at how long the inflorescence gets/lasts! Nice flower.

Very nice. Would like to see the whole plant just to get an idea how big it gets. Your photos are great too!

It's not that I wish you to undertake a lot of work for a photo, but it would be nice to see just massive that "little" Phrag is.

Well, I succumbed to temptation, as it has been quiet in the office this afternoon. Had to create a larger black backdrop than any I have ever done, due to the length of the two spikes, one of which goes more or less straight up, and the other straight off to one side. I also took one with me standing next to it, to give a ready sense of scale. I know there are larger plants around, but this one is as large as I have. I'll post the photos in a few minutes.

Many thanks. Had some trouble with Photobucket, so have just put the 2nd photo in again. There should be 5 photos in this batch to view.

The blooms seem to last 5 to 6 weeks, which has really surprised me.

Latest posts

Back