Phrag Urgandiae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I virtually never stake the spikes. To me they are far lovelier growing in their natural inclination. Certainly with phrags I can't see any reason to stake them. This is simply my personal preference. I can understand it if one is showing in a public space, or need to ship. But having them tied to spikes makes me feel uncomfortable.

Phrag Urgandiae and Friends

Piggybacking on this older post.
This is the second Phrag I've succeeded in reblooming; the other is the Franz Glanz in the photos below.
The last photo shows where I grow my Phrags, a corner with two windows, one south facing, one west facing; and shows afternoon light this time of year. They don't get morning sun because of location / angle of window. The west facing window is mostly shaded by a huge tree as well as a hill to our west.
I grow them in about 2-3" of standing water, a humidity tree with the grate removed. Recently I put in a tiny aquarium pump into the tray to move the water, I divide the pump's time between the two trays.

Phrag Urgandiae

side view

Franz Glanz and Urgandiae

Paph Zycleon, Phrags Urgandiae and Franz Glanz

Last edited:
I grow them in about 2-3" of standing water, a humidity tree with the grate removed. Recently I put in a tiny aquarium pump into the tray to move the water, I divide the pump's time between the two trays.

Interesting. How do you divide the time? Do you have a valve to switch between the two trays? Do you manually switch the air tubing?

water circulation

Interesting. How do you divide the time? Do you have a valve to switch between the two trays? Do you manually switch the air tubing?

I split it about 50:50. There is no air tubing - it's a water pump. I unplug it and move it to the other tray and plug it back in. I'm cheap, and they do make a little noise, which is why I don't just have two. They are getting a lot more circulation than they used to. This was the smallest pump I could find, it might be a fluval

Last edited:
You should not apologize for such beautiful pictures! Having a black background isn't an obligation for great pics, in my opinion. It seems more natural with all that green fuzzy "portrait" background. I love it! :clap:

I virtually never stake the spikes. To me they are far lovelier growing in their natural inclination. Certainly with phrags I can't see any reason to stake them. This is simply my personal preference. I can understand it if one is showing in a public space, or need to ship. But having them tied to spikes makes me feel uncomfortable.

The spike on Urgandiae is 30" above the surface of the potting media, the Franz Glanz is 22". If I didn't stake them, I'd need four times the growing area. It sure would look interesting though.

What I want to know, Don, is how you got that monster
home without damage???? Car, ferry, car??? I bet that
was quite a ride. I have a mental picture of you lugging
that plant and grunting all the way from Bristol to Gigha!!!

Very nice Don. Can you see now Terry what I'm talking about with the size of this Urgandiae compared to my tiny Phrag Mem Ed Murphy?
I should ask Don what the parents are that make up his hybrid before drawing any conclusion.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Hybrid names were a problem from the very beginning of orchid breeding and remain so today. The hobbyist is probably willing to ignore the issue, but there are impacts for us from time to time. I think we don't realize how much variability in size, shape, and color results from many different hybrids, obviously depending on the parents.

I would love to keep honoring Ed Murphy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very nice Don. Can you see now Terry what I'm talking about with the size of this Urgandiae compared to my tiny Phrag Mem Ed Murphy?
I should ask Don what the parents are that make up his hybrid before drawing any conclusion.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Not sure if you are referring to me - my name isn't Don. But, if you're talking about my plant, the tag doesn't list the parents and it's too late to ask the seller.

I'm very glad I posted the photo of this so I can tell when it bloomed first. It is still blooming!! I think it's on it's 11th or 12th flower, and has two more buds that I can see. So, it will be in bloom in September for sure, possibly longer. Half a year of Urgandiae. I'll try to remember to take a pic and post it.

Six months of Urgandiae

It's leaning right over a Paph. Berenice that just happens to have a nearly identical color palate. Pretty cool!

Latest posts

Back