Kovachii flasking

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlefrog

Hop-meister
Reaction score
Any good suggestions for flasking kovachii? I don't mind doing it myself, although it is certainly easier to send it out if I can be convinced it would be done well...

If you have had success, care to share the medium that you used? I've tried a few phrags with marginal success. Plan is to do it green capsule at 5 months (a couple months from now).

Photo to get attention... This x self.
IMG_20201217_200702400.jpg

Yep, Kevin Western and I have been flasking them in Australia for over 10 years. They need good light or the plants become spindly. I’m not sure why there aren’t many around though. Maybe people struggle with them?

Yep, Kevin Western and I have been flasking them in Australia for over 10 years. They need good light or the plants become spindly. I’m not sure why there aren’t many around though. Maybe people struggle with them?
W9 + coconut or something else, do you think?

W9 + coconut or something else, do you think?
Yes that is what we use for Phrags. I’ll see if I can find some flasks in the lab today if I remember. I definitely know where the fischeri/schlimii are.

There were some flask I saw from the US years ago that were quite acceptable. No idea what media they used though.

Last edited:
As promised, fischeri, kovachii respread, and kovachii ready for deflask. These are all on W9 with coconut water and alkaline pH. Calcium carbonate is an excellent buffer. Don’t worry about that expensive MES rubbish that Phytotech try to sell you. Coconut water is 30-60ml. We typically use 50ml. Kevin might add the calcium carbonate to the media these days, I’ll have to ask when he’s out of hospital

Attachments

• IMG_5479.jpeg
    IMG_5479.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5480.jpeg
    IMG_5480.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5484.jpeg
    IMG_5484.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back