Phrag. Schroderae 'Bolin' HCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
I bought this one in bud for $5 last week at an orchid society auction. I lucked out and am happy with how it bloomed.

Bolin.jpg

Um, I think I know why it was $5 - not a Schroederae. Nice flower anyway, though. Perhaps Sedenii?

The cross is Sedenii x caudatum. So, yeah this one looks more like Sedenii. The award description notes that it favors the Sedenii parent. $5 is a steal for an awarded plant. Even though the award is older.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Interesting. I was also thinking that it didn't look like Schroedrae, at least not the ones I've ever seen. But it is a beauty.

It could be one of those historical, inaccurately awarded AOS plants. I'm not planning on breeding with it.

The cross is Sedenii x caudatum. So, yeah this one looks more like Sedenii. The award description notes that it favors the Sedenii parent. $5 is a steal for an awarded plant. Even though the award is older.

Thanks. It would be interesting to get some breeder's thoughts on this. It has been awarded as Schroederae, so that can't change, but I don't see any caudatum in it. Does OrchidWiz or any other program tell the date, or at least the year it was awarded?

Ah, you gotta love those orchid society auctions. I have gotten so many wonderful plants through my orchid society for pennies.

If it's good enough to award, it's good enough for me. I found a price tag on it. The vendor was selling a division for $40. If it were in bloom when I bought it, I would have also questioned the name. But for historical reference it's kind of interesting to have.

You have a winner Candace. It is elegant and I love the baby-girl pink coloration. If you dont plan on breeding with it, and you love the way it looks, I say $5 is a crazy good deal!!! As for the misname - You cant do anything about it and its beautiful so just sit back and enjoy ;)

Latest posts

Back