Phrag. Jason Fischer ‘Cub Hill’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteM

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Z2816: (besseae ‘Orange Crush’ x Mem. Dick Clements)

This plant was acquired from The Little Greenhouse in October of 2023. It had been a number of years since they bloomed her out. Tom from TLG informed me that this came from the same flask that Hadley (Marriott Orchids) was awarded an FCC on another clone. I was happy to see a spike so quickly after repotting into a gallon net pot with grodan chunks.

She just returned from the Maryland Orchid Society Show, name tag and all.. happy to get her some water, warmth and pics taken/posted.

Enjoy.

IMG_2734.jpegIMG_2738.jpeg

Last edited:
Pete, do you find good root growth with the net pots? I’ve had issues with poor roots in rockwool when the pots are over four inches across.
I have not had any root growth issues with the net pots. I even have my larger phrags in 12 inch net pots and they seem to be thriving.

I have seen issues with grodan cubes in solid plastic pots, also aircone pots where the media stays too wet in the middle without air and the roots suffer but not with the net pots. I have also switched to the grodan chunks, which are larger than the cubes.

Pete, many thanks.
I have to repot the big and small tray of lovely Lynne x sib seedlings as they’ve outgrown their space and most are just starting to work on new growths. I was looking for something to put them in. I think I’ve found it. I have a large bag of the large rockwool chunk available. I read somewhere from Xavier (“roth”) that he always uses wet rockwool when he pots up. Any thoughts on this?
image.jpg

This plant was acquired from The Little Greenhouse in October of 2023. It had been a number of years since they bloomed her out. Tom from TLG informed me that this came from the same flask that Hadley (Marriott Orchids) was awarded an FCC on another clone. I was happy to see a spike so quickly after repotting into a gallon net pot with grodan chunks.

She just returned from the Maryland Orchid Society Show, name tag and all.. happy to get her some water, warmth and pics taken/posted.

Enjoy.

View attachment 46040View attachment 46041
Beautiful, Pete!! Do you happen to know which of Hadley’s FCCs came from this flask?

Pete, many thanks.
I have to repot the big and small tray of lovely Lynne x sib seedlings as they’ve outgrown their space and most are just starting to work on new growths. I was looking for something to put them in. I think I’ve found it. I have a large bag of the large rockwool chunk available. I read somewhere from Xavier (“roth”) that he always uses wet rockwool when he pots up. Any thoughts on this?
View attachment 46044
Impressive compot tray. Looks like you have a bit of work ahead of you. With Rockwool I’m very careful when the media when it’s dry, I use a construction grade M3 respirator to keep the dust out of my lungs, and gloves to keep the fibers from irritating my hands.

I wet the chunks down with a garden hose in a tub, I don’t soak the material in standing water, however the media is nearly fully saturated but still easy to work with and some pieces are lighter with less water than others. I also water thoroughly after I finish potting. With phrags I dress the pot with oyster shells as I pot and I seed a plug of moss transplanted from another moss pot.

Given the size of your seedlings, I would be very comfortable starting them under my conditions in a 1 gallon net pot. I’ve started smaller phrags with limited roots in the 1 gallon net pots and have yet to have any issues. You will be in good shape, you might use the entire bag of grodan or close to it by the time you get through that tray. Enjoy! Repotting with grodan is more fun than bark IMO.

Pete, many thanks.
View attachment 46044

Seems like it would be a lot of work to put those in pots. Save yourself the effort and just send the tray to me. :)

Enjoy.

View attachment 46040View attachment 46041

Latest posts

Back