Phrag Lovely Lynne 4n x sib blooming thread

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay besseae hybrids!
I'll take the castaways. I'll send you my address. Pack them in lots of insulation and say they're cookies in the postal declaration form. :p

Three more seedlings have bloomed. Two were nondescript and the usual wavy pinky purple.
This one I like as it’s a clear pink, with no purple undertones. The flower isn’t the biggest and a bit malformed as the two sepals were attached to each other but still shows potential. Anyway, another keeper for at least one more blooming.
IMG_1497.jpeg

David, what is the proportion that have passed the first blooming trial? How many are left to bloom? Theoretically, the slowest to grow/bloom might be the most polyploid and eventually best flowers so I would hang on to them even if it takes another year.

Eleven of the twenty six have bloomed and I’m keeping six for reblooming. That’s a pretty good ratio.
So far there is just a single outstanding one. I’ll leave you to guess which one that is.

Some are blooming size, two are in bud but things have slowed down now with the lower winter light levels. I don’t have extra lighting on these plants.
I'd expect the rest to flower on their next cycle. A couple aren’t FS yet. I’m going to flower them all out eventually.
I take your point about the slower developers maybe being more likely to be 4n so none are leaving here before I’ve seen a bloom.

The final bloom for 2023.
IMG_1510.jpeg
a decent flower, nice and flat and 11.3 cm. It’s a keeper.
a couple of others have sheaths but they will probably not develop as the light levels are now quite low.
its odd with this cross that the combined colours of the red besseae, orange dalessandroi and purple kovachii end up with these pinkish flowers.
Just one plant from eleven so far that has bucked the trend and produced some popping colours.

Last edited:
David, my Yoko W. Fischer (besseae(50%), kovachii(25%), and dalessandroi(25%) is in the same color range, but more orange than your group, which is (kovachii(50%), besseae(25%), and dalessandroi(25%). If we follow FrankRC and other recommendations that seem to have persuaded Kew that dalessandroi is just a var. of besseae, Lovely Lynne and Yoko W. Fischer are really both Fritz Schomburg. My Fritz Schomburg is definitely in the color range that you are showing. I don't see how we can get red with any substantial amount of kovachii in the mix. The best chance for red with good round size is probably with a lucky genetic hand of a Fritz Schomburg cross using the reddest besseae.

Last edited:
Terry,
I do have one clone so far (out of eleven) that has broken this trend, it’s on page 1 of this thread. This photo is fairly close to the true colour.
IMG_1432.jpeg
If I don’t find any others I will definitely try to self it. There is still over half the plants still to bloom so fingers crossed.

Terry,
I do have one clone so far (out of eleven) that has broken this trend, it’s on page 1 of this thread. This photo is fairly close to the true colour.
View attachment 44520
If I don’t find any others I will definitely try to self it. There is still over half the plants still to bloom so fingers crossed.
Yes, I am interested in those stragglers! That is a great shape.

Terry,
View attachment 44520
Not much yellow in that one!

Back