Phrag Lovely Lynne 4n x sib blooming thread

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The flower has matured into a bit of a beast.
It’s a couple of mm under 14 cm across (5.5 inches in old money) with 5cm wide petals plus it’s still flat. That’s huge for this type of breeding.IMG_1458.jpeg
This is clearly the second ‘keeper’ from the batch. What will it achieve on a large plant? This is its first flower on a single growth. I’d expect a six inch bloom.

Last edited:
The flower has matured into a bit of a beast.
It’s a couple of mm under 14 cm across (5.5 inches in old money) with 5cm wide petals plus it’s still flat. That’s huge for this type of breeding.View attachment 43662
This is clearly the second ‘keeper’ from the batch. What it will achieve on a large plant? This is its first flower on a single growth. I’d expect a six inch bloom.
Don’t you think that one has almost all of the kovachii size genes but has retained a good bit of the besseae coloration? If it stays flat it has also gotten a good bit of besseae configuration. I think I saw one Phrag Apollo (Fritz Schomburg x kovachii) in person and maybe a picture or two. Some of this hybrid would get maximum kovachii size, but the ones I have seen were more purple than yours. I think yours could be unique with its size/color combination.

Linus, it’s a sib cross of two tetraploid Lovely Lynnes. So there is a chance for some segregation of the kovachii genes which make up around half the cross. It looks like this clone picked up several of the kovachii flower size genes.
Terry, it’s what I was hoping for from the sib cross. Segregation between the colour genes of kovachii and besseae and flower size genes. Plus the size enhancement from tetraploidy. Remember we have only seen five of the 25 plants so plenty of time for more interesting clones.

Linus, it’s a sib cross of two tetraploid Lovely Lynnes. So there is a chance for some segregation of the kovachii genes which make up around half the cross. It looks like this clone picked up several of the kovachii flower size genes.
Terry, it’s what I was hoping for from the sib cross. Segregation between the colour genes of kovachii and besseae and flower size genes. Plus the size enhancement from tetraploidy. Remember we have only seen five of the 25 plants so plenty of time for more interesting clones.
And the slowest growing could have the greatest increase in ploidy and who knows what that could bring!

The next one is the largest seedling and the only one to flower last spring on a small growth. The second photo shows that bloom.
This one has done well to bloom just seven or eight months later on a much larger mature growth.
The flower still has the characteristic central stripes on the petals and is pan flat and 12.5cm across. It’s not quite in the league of the best two but still very decent.
one of the other things about this cross are the very pronounced petals tips.
IMG_1464.jpegIMG_1292.jpeg

Living in Cornwall it’s a long way to go to display at Chelsea, Leslie!
Our closest show would be Malvern in June and that is four hours away but our local society puts on a display there.
The RHS committee meet at the show so it maybe that in time when some of these plants are all grown up, that a couple make the journey!
I‘m pretty sure that these plants will be award quality

Another three clones have just bloomed.
IMG_1483.jpeg
The first one is a small plant so this one will stay as it’s done well.
The colour is good and it’s flat.
IMG_1482.jpeg
This one will go. It’s wavy and pale. I cannot keep them all to maturity.
IMG_1479.jpeg
This is the best of the three. With petals that are flat, overlapping and 11cm across and 5cm wide it’s a clear keeper. I’m looking forward to seeing this one all grown up.
IMG_1480.jpeg

Another three clones have just bloomed.
View attachment 44089
The first one is a small plant so this one will stay as it’s done well.
The colour is good and it’s flat.
View attachment 44090
This one will go. It’s wavy and pale. I cannot keep them all to maturity.
View attachment 44091
This is the best of the three. With petals that are flat, overlapping and 11cm across and 5cm wide it’s a clear keeper. I’m looking forward to seeing this one all grown up.
View attachment 44092
David, are the petals angled up a bit from horizontal or is it the angle of the picture? Petals look flat. Most of the color is in that range I think of as coral. Not red, not pink, not orange - a mix of the three. How does the color range of what you have seen so far look to your eye?

Yes Terrry, this clone has petals that are angled upwards. I’d hope that this trait would disappear in future bloomings. I’d agree about the colours. They’re all fairly similar around coral. Some have more red portions in parts of the petals. The only one that differs is the lovely reddish one that flowered a few weeks ago.

I am sooo jealous! I hope the Fischers make some of their polyploid kovachii hybrids available to us over here one of these days.
Of course, congrats to you, David, for your outstanding culture. Your plants were lucky to find the right home.

Great growing! Incredible blooms. I can't wait to see what future blooms look like on more mature plants.
I need to experiment with this method as I've noticed a lot of my Phrags that are potted in rockwool are showing more surface root growth like you've mentioned in previous posts.

Do you half fill the tray with LECA and then top with 1-1.5" of the rockwool?
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back